View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #616
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
yeah, i have no control...and right now, eating is a coping mechanism/comfort, so i still eat whatever i want, and then just try to exercise it away...the only control i have is at the store...i make an effort not to buy junk food because i know if i have it, i will eat it all at once...the worst thing for me is when i go out to lunch with the guys i work with, because we dont typically go anywhere that has anything remotely healthy.

the last half gallon of ice cream i bought lasted 3 nights (that was last week, for the record)
Our weight is 90% what we eat. The sad thing is that we don't really burn a lot exercising. Most of the stats and monitors aren't accurate. If we're going for 30-60 minutes, we are probably burning 300-500 calories. Seems nice, but that's a scoop and a half of ice cream. Or a handful of cookies. Controlling the amount of calories we consume in a day is far more important than exercise.

20 days is my golden landmark. If you can change something in your diet for 20 days, it becomes routine to you. You won't crave ice cream if you stop eating it. You won't crave soda if you stop drinking it. It sucks for those first 20 days, but after that it becomes second nature. You just become someone who doesn't eat ice cream and doesn't care about it.

I struggle with the social stuff too, but portion control is the key. On Sundays we all watch the games at my place and order pizza. I don't want to be "that guy" who has some chicken breasts and veggies in the fridge. So I just have a few slices and stop. It's my cheat meal for the week. I don't gorge myself on it, just give myself a nice taste and move on.

This whole thing is willpower. Once you get past those first 20 days, it becomes easier. You sort of have to treat yourself like a drug addict who is weening himself off heroin.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote