View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #1
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Another Dev Dynasty: College Football

Hi all,

Inspired by some of the other programming dynasties that I have been reading on this board, I have decided to start on my own programming dynasty.

My idea is for a college football multi-player web based game. A head coach will 'hire' a staff. There will be 12 to 13 staff members. Together, this staff will game plan, recruit, develop players, and do basically all functions related to a college football program.

My motivation for this is to get better at my job. I work as a senior developer for a Fortune 100 company. But the application that I work on is a really a legacy application. We implement a bunch of poor programming practices because the software was written many years ago and is stable. As a result, my programming skills have stalled over the past four to five years and I have been lazy about keeping them up.

I made the decision to re-commit to getting better at programming. I picked this as my project. Developing a college football game was my original reason for getting into programming back in high school. I don't really have any expectations that this will become a commercial product, but it should help me to keep my skills fresh.

The tech stack that I am using is Java for the back-end and some variation of JavaScript for the front-end. I will probably use a JS framework (either React or Angular make the most sense right now). I evaluated using another JVM language (mostly Kotlin), but the jobs don't seem to be there yet.

I am also going to chronicle some development tips for other developers here. Despite my skills being somewhat stagnant, I still have a natural knack for writing code and designing software. I am also reading a lot of resources to catch up on the latest trends.

The timing of this is sort of weird because football season is about to begin. I like to watch all the NFL games and some college games. As a result, I don't have a lot of free time. Most of the development of this will happen after football season, but I wanted to go ahead and get a start on it.

I hope you will enjoy reading it. If you any suggestions/comments/questions, please let me know.

GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote