View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

All-Time MLS Year 1 (1998)

Hi all, and welcome to my new replay dynasty focusing on MLS. As the title says, this will be an "All-Time" league, but not in the usual sense. It won't feature exclusively the great teams of the league's history, though they will be involved along the way. Instead, every team that's ever completed a season will be involved at some point in this dynasty.

Here's how it will work: the league will play out over a number of years, starting with a "1998" season. Why? Because that will include all the teams that played in 1996 and in 1997. The teams from both season will be put together into a two-division league to play out a double-round-robin schedule. Here's the fun part: the divisions will be built on promotion and relegation, not geography. With 20 teams as the seeding ground, that means two 10-team divisions playing an 18-game schedule in each division.

As the years pass, more teams will be added to the all-time league from the just completed MLS season. For instance, in the second season (1999), all the 1998 teams will join the all-time league and the number of additional teams will mean a third division will be added to the mix for 32 teams altogether. However, to prevent the league structure from being overwhelming to my interests and time, I'm going to limit the league to just those three divisions. Also, the second and third divisions will really be one true second tier being split East/West rather than one above the other, much as there's a Conference North and Conference South below the main pro divisions in the FA. Each division will also cap out at 16 teams apiece (48 total teams, 16 in the first division and 32 in the combined second division). This means after a few years, teams that finish at the bottom of the second-tier divisions will be relegated completely out of the all-time league and never return because they have to make room for each new season that comes along.

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote