View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Dev Diary #2 - Out Damn'd Spot!

Welcome back to the dev diary that counts down changes from the previous version of The Dungeon, and hopefully whets your appetite for things to come.

One of the most important things I do as a GM is to figure it what works and what doesn't, and then pull out the things no one is using

In the first Dungeon I gave thieves the ability to set traps, as well as to find/disarm them, and no one ever did. In the second Dungeon I gave them the ability to find and use poison instead, and again, no one did. Fine.

So instead, in D3, assassins don't have poisoning or trap setting. Those mechanics and items are gone.

In the first iteration of the Dungeon each class had a prestige item that required four separate 100 gp items that could be found and used to craft a very powerful class-only item. They were almost always red herrings save for a few occasions. In D2 I instead used recipes of existing items, that you could acquire and upgrade. And again, that wasn't the best played aspect of the game,

It's time to call it. No more recipes or prestige items. They are all gone.

Oh, and exotic weapons? Also gone. Goodbye exotics!

In the last game, characters that died were turned into PC Ghouls and gained the ghoul class and continued to explore and fight and try to kill the other players. I liked that mechanic. But there's no way I can pull it off again. Surprise was part of its charm.

The final failed mechanic that is being pulled is size. We had three sizes of players man sized, little-people sized and taurian sized. A handful of doors could only be used by that size and smaller, and since it could take you days to get around this, this made for bad games for people too large. Instead size sort of exists and there might be a few rooms where it matters, but the mechanic as it pertains to allowing people access through certain doors is now eliminated.

Understand what the people want. And give it to them!

There's no sense over-clunking a game that is already complex.

And since we are adding in 4 new classes, 5 new races, and something people have been asking about for a while, it just makes sense to yank some other stuff out too, right?

Right!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote