View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 09:30 AM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

Round 1, Season 4
So I have a huge problem caused by my lack of long-range planning. The biggest event of the game is next turn and due to my failure to make a key move earlier, I have two choices:

1. Hire extra staff like I should have earlier and invite 3 ladies to the new Gabled Conservatory.

2. Pass the turn to refresh service, get 200 pounds, and, most importantly, refill my hand with my discard pile to enable hosting a formal affair in the new State Room.

After way too much thought, I opt to pass. I feel like there's a much bigger ROI on the State room play than on the more conservative (no pun intended) ladies play.

Round 2, Season 4
So what's this big event? The National Holiday. On this turn, you can host any event no matter your Reputation, and invite any guest - again, Reputation doesn't matter. The only limitation - you have to be able to provide service to all guests.

Based on my pass last turn, you know what's coming...

Edit. Note: Flipped to Rose side because pics were during cleanup

This was the culmination of all the Yorks' dreams. Even though the Viscountess and Viscount had bitter fights over the last year, and scandals arose, it all seemed worth it as Viscount George watched the guests in all their best finery fully engaged in frolic about the State Room at a grand, glorious Christmas party.

Here was Mary, Countess of Coventry and wife to the powerful Earl of Coventry being attended by the lady's maid and the head housekeeper. In a corner of the room, no less than the Duke of Longford himself - Lord Richard - was engaged in a spirited discussion with Marianne. Could his daughter win over a Duke? Perhaps Charles Fairchild was shooting too low, mused George.

Countess Madeline of Nollwood, who thank God didn't need service because she brought along her very special female companion, was back already after having had a delightful time in the English Garden just a short time ago. Deep in conversation with Lady Sarah Lewis and that woman's own very special companion, it seemed that little group of four women was getting along smashingly.

Yes, reflected George. This would be an event that was talked about for years as the one that finally put the Yorks solidly back on top of the Derbyshire social register.

A few evenings later, as he lay in bed with Beatrice, "I'll give you whatever you want , dear. Duke Richard gave us a line on tea import investments that will net us 600 pounds, and the tenants gave us a Christmas bonus of 200 pounds, which means we're 1,200 pounds to the good. I don't want to make the mistake I did last time."

Beatrice smiled, narrowing her eyes in thought.

"Mmm... yes, I'd like a music room. And after that, if the workers are still around, you're going to give me my library back."

"Of course, dear."

The Viscountess never explained why she wanted a music room first over a library, though some speculated that she'd been charmed by the live musicians who'd played at the Christmas party and consequently desired to have a fitting venue to play any time she wished.

Game Mechanics:

A whole reputation level from hosting the event. Another whole level from the combination of Countess of Coventry and the admirer bonus from that minx Marianne mixing with Duke Richard. That's 2.1 levels of reputation from this formal affair.

Money? 600 pounds from Duke Richard, 200 pounds from George, 100 pounds from Lady Sarah - That's 900 pounds that came out of this party.

Guests? Muted there - a Prestige Guest from Lady Madeline and a Casual Guest from Marianne.

Two Victory Point cards drawn - 1 each from Duke Richard and Countess Mary. *Two*. For comparison, winning a Courtship event draws you 1 Victory Point card.

This is the kind of huge swing play this turn was designed for. If I'd invested in staff earlier, I could have made this an even huger gain, but either way, this is damned impressive.

Round 3, Season 4
Viscountess Beatrice decided one visit to the Flower Room to see the blooms wasn't enough, and so she invited completely forgiven Alice Barstow and Elizabeth Fairchild to join her.

While the women were in conversation, Beatrice mentioned the troubles of having disreputable guests in one's register. Elizabeth Fairchild - who incidentally showed no interest whatsoever in marrying any time soon - remarked that she would be quite happy to assist in helping the Yorks be rid of those troublesome people.

And so it came to pass that Anne Hawkins and Margaret Stowell suddenly found themselves persona non grata - money and a Ducal relative aside.

Later that month, work began on the reconstruction of a library in the York manor. It was a glorious time for Beatrice, having her precious books once again back on proper shelves.

Simultaneously, a great upheaval occurred in the marketplace.

Game Mechanics Notes
On a 20 on the AI roll, the market replaces itself. Suddenly, the last monument appears. I accidentally took an extra turn because I forgot to move the white piece, so the last turn is illegal, I just realized.

Basically I'm going to summarize. On the last turn that was illegal, we got just enough for the monument. Which in turn netted us the final courtship by the narrowest of margins - 38-37.

Illegal game score:

If we remove that illegal last turn, here's how the final scoring changed:

-8 Charles Fairchild
-4 Victory Points card
(+12 to Opponents)
-7 Improvement Victory Points
-7 Reputation Victory Points
+1 Wealth (200 pounds)

So that's... 157 to 113, or a 44 point margin of victory. Still a sizable win.

Because of that illegal turn, I'm scrapping the epilogue I had written for the story mode.

But it's a good lesson to make sure I'm doing everything I'm supposed to do each turn.

Next up, we're going to try playing against an Expert opponent and with a different family. Still the standard game.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote