View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #122
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Race to the World Tour Finals

Here are the current standings, post-Wimbledon. I'll update this several more times throughout the year.

In

Bjorn Benda -- 8590
Antonin Iglar -- 6040

A done deal here, Benda and Iglar are the dominant 1-2 punch of the tour and they'll be a force at the tour finals.

Probable

Mick Elder -- 4750
David Alvarez -- 4495
David Almagro -- 4410
Perry Hogue -- 4130

This quartet pretty much just needs to keep showing up. It usually takes about 5k, sometimes a little less, to ensure a spot. These players have enough of a lead on the field that, barring a complete disaster, they will be in also. Anybody with a 1k lead on the 9th spot in listed here.

On the Bubble

Viktor Goncharenko -- 3010
Evgeni Topolski -- 2860
----------------------------------------
Anil Mehul -- 2795

Here's where it gets interesting. There are essentially three players competing for two spots. As you can see, right now Mehul is on the outside looking in, but he hasn't played many small events yet and will likely pick up points in the WTC relative to the others. I like his chances, but the Russians will be in the fight most of if not all of the way. Anil needs to finish strong; with the WTC and the number of matches he's been playing, there probably aren't going to be a lot of 500s and maybe no 250s for him. I'm going to need him to take advantage of being better prepared in the Masters and at the USO to make a big splash, like he did with that initial Slam SF last year.

Long Shots

David Prieto -- 2320
Julian Hammerstein -- 2290
Giorgio Becerril -- 2150
Cestmir Marcek -- 1915

This is the tier of players currently within 1000 points, but greater than 250 away, from making the cut. As can be seen there's another big gap here. Hammerstein is the only one that I think can legitimately crash the party, and as Austria's gotten ... well, hammered ... in the WTC he's going to lose points there so he'll need a very big finish to year to make up for that. It's a chance, but a small one. Prieto is clearly sliding this year and I don't see him making a run, Becerril is one of those hangers-on that's never really been a Top 10 guy, and Marcek is good but not good enough to make up this much ground.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote