View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
path12
Coordinator

Following up on my previous post, it is now early April and the stakes possibilities are becoming clearer for my 3-year-old crop.

Gettysburg had a disappointing start to his year, getting beat a nose in the G3 San Mateo and by a half in the G2 Gold Nugget after leading at the top of the stretch in both. My fear is that he may not have the distance for the Triple Crown, and finishing a dull fifth in the G2 Stepping Stone while racing wide was further cause for concern. Another dull finish in the G1 Pacific Derby and we'd have to forget about Kentucky.

As the 9-2 fourth choice he broke sharply from the rail, grabbed a length and a half on the field and never let anyone closer than that, winning with a 97 speed rating.

We're goin' to Kentucky, baby!!

As for the other horses I mentioned in my first post, it looks like the fillies Fleur de Lis and Holy Smokes, while good, may not be G1 material, not being able to grab wins at higher than G3 so far this year. Napoleon knows nothing but going as fast as he can as far as he can. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be far enough to win. He is looking more and more like an allowance/high claiming sprinter who might once in a while be able to grab part of a minor stake.