View Single Post
Old 09-22-2023, 11:00 PM   #13
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Apologies for the delay. Have some real life stuff going on but we're back for the 1914 season.

First, we need to figure out what our transaction limits are. Nothing is rolled over from last year, so we're starting with zero. I head over to random.org to get my numbers, and this year we get some luck:

3 FA
3 Trades

Now we're talking. This gives us some flexibility as we can trade two for one across categories, if needed. And we may do that, as I don't see us making a big splash in FA yet, but let's take a look at our financial situation:

There's just over $90M on the books for next year, giving us around $30M or so to play with.

We've got a lot of holes on the team, and aren't really good at anything other than not striking out on offense, and we've done okay generating strikeouts. Other than that, we need everything. 3B still is a massive black hole and looks to be the biggest area of opportunity on offense. A SP would be great as well.

There's some money to be saved in arbitration, too. SP Ryan Carpenter, who was used in the bulk role for most of the year, was nothing special and did not strike out enough guys (13.5 K%). He's also in his final season of control. Non-tendering him saves us $4.8M.

Interestingly, there is a guy available in a trade, 3B Roberto Gonzalez, who Cleveland who send us for Carpenter. However, Gonzalez is set to make over $70M over the next three seasons and has no power. He has 62 extra-base hits, but just 4 HR. He also had 31 SB. With the young 3B on their way up, I don't make this move due to the cost.

We also cut 3B Matt Cooper, which saves another $1M.

SS Mike Clark, who we picked up in the original "expansion" draft, is now a free agent, which gets me to thinking - I'm curious what our team chemistry looks like. I thought Clark might be a captain, but no. We have a couple leaders, but no captain and no sparkplug. We might have to consider looking at that.

One bright spot - CF Ed Carty won a Gold Glove Award for his work in center and also won the Golden Bat Award as the best offensive CF in the league. He's got a great hit tool but very little power, but used it to slash .304/.340/.396. I'd obviously some to see some more pop but good to see him get some awards.

We get to free agency and we'll stop here...more to come!
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote