View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #24
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I once read (and can only vaguely remember) a short story by Arthur C. Clarke about a "life form" that was purely electrical.

The nano example is a good one. We can view things through microscopes and telescopes, but that's still a limited range when you consider that things can be (presumably) infinitely bigger or smaller still.

It's definately a point worth considering; life is as it is on Earth because that's how it evolved to the conditions on this planet through trial and chance over a great period of time. On a different life-supporting planet with different conditions chances are things are going to evolve quite differently than how they did down here. What we consider "Intelligent life" might be an Earth-centric view. A "life form" from a different planet might not resemble any kind of life form or intelligence that we can measure or even detect.

I think we are very unlikely to find humanoid-like life forms in the universe simply because we are so much a product of the world we are from, and if things had not gone our ancestor's way all those many years ago, we might never have even been.

This has always interested me. The form that general, corporeal intelligent life would take. I'm not talking really exotic types, like silicon-based, or nano-machines or energy beings and the like. I am talking about carbon-based types of life like us. Yes, it seems silly to think that all intelligent, carbon-based life would be humanoid, but I also think there are basic requirements for such life that would lead to similarities. Thus, perhaps it wouldn't be so odd to run into humanoid life elsewhere, especially if Earth-like conditions (liquid-water heavy, atmosphere with elemental qualities that can be broken down into energy, temperature range and environmental conditions conducive to life) tend to lead toward that evolutionary result.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote