View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #23
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Our travel team played its first tournament of the season on Saturday, and it was definitely an up and down day.

This team has practiced once together in over 2 months, and thanks to the rain, didn't get to practice at all leading up to this weekend. Of the 11 girls, 7 are on middle school teams, so the majority of the team has been playing softball, but not together as a team.

We played a small 3-team, double round robin tournament. First team we played, we beat in a scrimmage back in March 9-1. But we came out flat and rusty, and got beat 6-3. We had a pop-up drop between 3 players, 2 collisions, and a bunch of mental mistakes. Terrible game. Caitlin went 0-2 and played 1B.

Second game we played against a pretty mediocre/bad team (the team that beat us beat them 7-0 and then 6-1). Caitlin pitched and completely dominated them - 5 IP, 2 hits, 1 walk, 11 strikeouts. We won 8-0. She went 1-3 with a single.

Third game we played the team that beat us again. We smoked them 11-1 in 4 innings. Caitlin went 1-2 with a single and a rocket into left-center that the LF made a great play on.

...and then the rains came. At this point, only the team that beat us got in all 4 games, and they were 3-1. We were 2-1 and had yet to play the 0-3 team that had scored 1 run all day. In the event of a tie, the tiebreaker was runs allowed, and we were ahead by 7 runs. But the tournament decided to cancel the final game, and they were going to award us the championship but the other team bitched and the tournament relented and gave them the trophy. Yes, they won 1 more game, but that's only because they got to play all of their games and there was no way we were going to either lose to that other team, or win but give up 8 runs. I don't blame the other team for bitching, but the tournament should have done something about it.

Anyway, a downer way to finished the day, but on the flipside, we really pulled it together and showed how good we can be. This coming weekend is a HUGE tournament 5 minutes from our house - 16 12U teams, including a number of excellent 2nd year teams. One of the teams won a national title as a 2nd year 10U team 2 years ago. Our coach is shooting for top 5. The weather doesn't look like it is going to cooperate, so we may not get any practice in this week, either. Fun.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-23-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote