View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #7
StLee
High School Varsity

The Final Countdown and the Heartbreak of Managing

The Final Countdown and the Heartbreak of Managing

This year, the sixth of DSL’s illustrious history, is unique in that it is the first season where there has been any competition.

In my opinion, Daegu is the best place in Korea for foreigners because of the overly active expatriate community. There is no shortage of activities. You can almost play any sport or participate in any activity you are interested in. Well, this season, the growing popularity of Ultimate Frisbee has thrown our first week in flux.

For the reason that we do not want the softball season to cut too far into the summer, thus preventing many of our players from going on vacation, we usually start our season around the first weekend of April (or last of March if it works that way). In our 11-week season, there is usually a long weekend or two where people like to travel, so the season is generally stretched over 13 weeks. This season, we have a Week 2 bye because of the Ultimate Frisbee championship tournament.

Week 1 is not a bye, though, but we have run into some huge scheduling problems. On my team alone, I have five Ultimate Frisbee players. They all have games scheduled around the time of our first softball game, so I am a little nervous about being able to field a team for my first ever game.

Thankfully, two of the Frisbee players said they are skipping their Frisbee weekend because they want to play ball, not that fru-fru game they play otherwise. Two of my players are captains in Ultimate Frisbee, so they cannot miss their games. One of those has a game before our softball game and may be able to make it in time to play. The other’s game would start right in the middle of ours, so I’m not going to let him play.

Our rule is that a player who leaves in the middle of the game is considered an out in every subsequent at bat. In that case, it’s better for him to miss the game, even though he is my starting CF.

I just realized while typing this that I have already named the cast of characters, so I can tell who they are. Keeler and Mary Kay said they will play ball on Sunday. Sundell said he has a Frisbee game, but he realizes it is late enough where he can make it to our game and probably play the entire game. DeBree and John Johnson are the two captains. DeBree may be able to come just a little late to our game, bat 13th and still play. JJ will not be able to play on Sunday.

Despite this, the first weekend of DSL 2012 is upon us. We are going to have a loose practice on Saturday and then meet the Bus Drivers on Sunday.

Here is our season schedule:

Week 1 – April 1 – vs Bus Drivers
April 8 – Bye because of Ultimate Frisbee Tournament
Week 2 – April 15 – vs Swingers
Week 3 – April 22 – vs Pitch Slappers
Week 4 – April 29 – vs Master Batters
Week 5 – May 6 – vs HIT Positive
Week 6 – May 13 – vs Multiple Scoregasms
Week 7 – May 20 – vs Hanamana
May 27 – Bye because of national holiday
Week 8 – June 3 – vs Bus Drivers
Week 9 – June 10 – vs Swingers
Week 10 – June 17 – vs Pitch Slappers
Week 11 – June 24 – Championship Tournament

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote