View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

2013-2014 NCAA Basketball What-if Sports Season

Since I have limited internet at home at the moment and can't move forward with my FBCB interactive coaches dynasty at the moment, I'm going to start setting up my WIS NCAA BB season. I know that it could be a month yet before WIS puts the 2013-2014 basketball teams up for simming, but I figure if I can have teams and conferences decided, and get non-conference schedules set up, that'll save me some time and I can get to simming when WIS does release the teams. Here's a breakdown of how this will work:

Conference Breakdown

8 conferences of 16 teams each, 2 divisions per conference with 8 teams per division.

Team Selection

I will use ALL the teams from 8 particular conferences. The rest of the teams will be selected by random selection. I will probably take votes for specific teams that readers want to see in, and then use some of the other teams from the other power conferences that didn't make it in. The 8 conferences will be filled with these teams randomly until each conference has 16 teams

I have also set up how I am going to play out this season. I am treating it as a full regular season, split into several parts.

1. Each team will play a 3 game season opening tournament. There will be 16 tournaments, featuring 8 teams each, with each tournament having 1 team from each conference. The format for all tournaments will be such as you see at the Maui Invitational, and the teams for each tournament will be selected totally random with a dice roller

2. Each team will play 7 non-conference games, 1 game against a team from another conference, until all 8 conferences have played each other once. The games will also be selected totally random with a dice roller.

3. Each team will play 8 games, one against each conference opponent in the other division.

4. Each team will play a home and home series against the other 7 teams in their division.

Now by my count, this will give every team 32 games overall, and 22 conference games.

Postseason

I will have the 68 team NCAA tournament. To give it more of a feel of actual March Madness, I will be simming the other conferences tournaments to get some teams from the lower conferences in as 14, 15, 16 seeds. By my count there are 32 conferences in the actual 2013-2014 NCAA basketball season. That means I will have to run 24 AQ tournaments aside from the 8 conference tournaments from the conferences that will be featured in this replay. Some of the conferences may have a short tournament, depending on how many teams I take from a conference to fill the 8 conferences I'm using in this dynasty.

I will also have at least a postseason NIT, maybe a CBI and CIT. I will continue to think on that. This does, of course mean, that some of the original 128 teams in this dynasty may not make a postseason tournament, as 24 slots in the NCAA tournament will be delegated to teams not already in this dynasty.

Only other thing is top 25 polls, RPI, etc etc. I would still be interested in having a committee help with that, or I can just do it all by myself and have you guys gripe at me when the team you like gets under ranked or under seeded in a tournament.

I'm hoping to get all the teams and conferences decided by tonight and start setting up the 16 tournaments over the weekend. The 8 conferences I am using are the ACC, American, Atlantic 10, Big East, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, and SEC. By my count, that will make up 96 of the 128 teams, meaning I need to add 32 more from other conferences. If anybody wants to see a specific team in this dynasty that isn't in 1 of those 8 conferences, please let me know. I know bbgunn likes Hawaii, so they will be in this dynasty, which leaves 35 slots to fill.

And guys, don't worry, you can still choose a team that you want in it even after I fill all the slots, at least until I get ready to start simming. At that point, things are locked. If I have filled all the slots and somebody wants a specific team, I will just remove one team and add the team that somebody wants. So don't be shy, if you want a certain team in, let me know, the sooner the better.

collegesportsfanms is offline   Reply With Quote