View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #116
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Even those characters I would describe as simply focused on particular objectives. They're not simply bad or evil, as much as they have a very narrow focus for what they want to get, and they lack a clear moral compass with respect to how best to achieve that focus.

Certainly, there are unredeemable characters. But Martin does that (adjust these characters' focus or appreciation for morality) enough that you can never trust him with any of them. And frankly, some of them die before they get the chance to change.

I guess it depends on a deeper, more philosophical, discussion on the nature/definition of "evil" and whether it exists at all.

That discussion aside, I firmly consider, at the very least, the following characters to be "evil" or at least such complete vile dickheads that the vast majority of their actions in the novels could never really be justified:

Spoiler

Granted, most of those are very minor characters and we are talking about a handful out of a cast of thousands.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote