View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 04:00 PM   #390
hoopsguy
General Manager

QB - Rattay is back and we like him a great deal. But he is also a good bet to leave after this year. So we need a legit backup. Right now the closest thing is redshirt FR Nathan Short (7/11). And while I like the idea of starting a mobile QB one of these years I'm not sure that handing the keys to Nathan next year is optimal. We will lose one more guy to graduation in Fazande, leaving 3-4 players after this year. Relative Need: 5 (1-10 scale)

RB - Morris returns and has shown durability + good grades. We have him for two more years. Gannon Dawson is heading into his senior year. We have one more guy who is well suited for the 4th RB option. So we could use another guy as a quality backup. Relative Need: 3

FB - Toomer is a senior and we two guys behind him who both project as decent options. I wouldn't mind another guy or an absolute stud at this position, but we are not hurting for this year. Relative Need: 2

WR - Voight is a senior and everyone else is an underclassman. Interestingly, redshirt freshman Derrick Palmer is initially listed as the starter ahead of Voight, Olsen, and Thelwell. I could use one more guy here so I can cut the stiff at the bottom of the roster. But it would have to be a lower level recruit so he doesn't want to transfer. Relative Need: 1

TE - Gene Fortunato, a senior, is the only one I have after the dim-witted transfer by Kent Thompson. Relative Need: 8 (would be higher, but we barely use our TEs)

OT - Roell English is the last guy from our class of many tackles. J.W. Hunter, a redshirt last year, is slated as a starter. We have one other guy who should not ever see the field. Relative Need: 10

OG - We have two seniors out of five players here. One is a starter, the other is the worst of the bunch. Right now John Perryman is scheduled to start. He had better improve his play on Saturdays if he wants to keep the position. I will start a fullback in his place if he is as baby-soft as he was last year. Relative Need: 8

C - SR Greg Knight is serviceable. The backup should never, ever see the field. Relative Need: 10

DE - Dickerson can play, but the new coach isn't wild about what Phil Patten brings to the table. Patten is set to graduate and has grade issues, so we definitely need to shore up this position. Relative Need: 9

DT - Farmer and Burford are both seniors. The two backups are horror shows. We need help here ASAP. Relative Need: 10

ILB - Lee Brown is raw. Leon Jacoby isn't much in the eyes of our new guy. Both are sophs, so they will be around for awhile. But neither looks like a starter. Relative Need: 9 (a little bit of a surprise)

OLB - SR Fred Mitchell is a stop-gap. The other two guys are bottom of the barrel players for the current UCLA program. Relative Need: 10 (ugh, D needs help)

CB - Finally a position the current guy likes ... We have four seniors here and SO Curry Thompson. Relative Need: 10

S - If Simms leaves we have nothing at all at SS. FS is in better shape with 3 options in Thomas, Brock, and Starr. Relative Need: 6 (9 for SS, 3 for FS)

K/P - both are juniors. I would be happy to bring in a stud to take the job from Ellis. I'm happy with Bingaman.

So, here are the needs:
2 OT, 2 DT, 2 C, 1 CB, 2 OLB, DE, ILB, SS, OG - 14 guys on the 8-10 priority list
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote