View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 10:59 PM   #111
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Week 3
Atlanta 1-1 @ Green Bay 1-1
Last year the Packers were one of the top teams in the league. They are certain to be another tough match for us this season. At least Leland is back to 100%, so I expect great things from him.

We started the game strong, but the Pack's QB, Michael Jordan, lit us up in the second half. We gave up 27 unanswered points and lost the game 15-30.
Nixon did well for himself, running for 136 yards and a TD in 30 carries. And this is with two starters out on the line. If he can keep this up we should be able to bounce back from this loss. Of course Nixon did have another fumble, and those never help our cause.

Week 4
Atlanta 1-2 @ Philadelphia 1-4
We have struggled the last two weeks, losing in heartbreaking fashion both times. We need to win this game or I fear that the dam will break and we will lose all confidence and hope.
Most of the first half was two solid defenses refusing to give up much ground to each other. Our longest drive was a 6 play 16 yard drive. The Eagles were able to move the ball easily enough, we just kept taking the ball away from then after long drives. Two turnovers and a missed field goal kept the score knotted up until the closing moments of the first half. That is when our offence finally got into gear. We used 8 plays to move the ball 59 yards for the first score of the game. The TD came on a Nixon 3 yard dive. The second half started of much the same way with another turnover, which we turned into another TD.

Our defense failed a bit in the final quarter, but we held on to win this game 17-12. Leland had another decent afternoon. He picked up 122 yards and a TD on 30 carries. His lack of fumbles was also crucial in this close game. Key to this win was our defense who forced 4 turnovers in the game.

We suffered a few more minor injuries to starters, but I am hoping that they can tough it out.

1/4 season review
We are a fourth of the way through the year and I am really not too surprised at where we are. I think that we are about a .500 club, and that is right where we are at. Injuries are taking their toll on my line, and that hurts Leland's ability to run with the ball. And yet, he has climbed to second in the League with 442 yards rushing. He has 3 TDs and is averaging 4.09 yards per carry.
While we do not throw the ball particularly often, when we do go to the air we have been surprisingly effective. We have also been one of the top teams in third down conversions.
Our defense is solid, though not outstanding. We are fifth in scoring D, and we do quite well against the run, and decently defending the pass.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote