View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #199
QuikSand
lolzcat

Our draft pick...NUMBER 32 BY THE WAY...approaches and I am unimpressed by my options. I'm likely to go off-affinity here, but I really dislike doing so. SO, I post the pick for trade.

I get an interesting offer, with multiple options... and end up taking a trade-out. In exchange, we get two young wide receivers - WR isn't the position where I feel a particularly urgent need, but let's have a look:

Seth Fletcher
Zach Briggs

Okay, so what are we buying here? First, the context here is a team where the owner walked away for a few seasons, and recently returned. These two guys were AI picks, who don't fit the chemistry scheme he has recently decided upon. But...boy oh boy do they fit mine. Both are young, have enough starts to activate chemistry, and have very high personality ratings.

Fletcher looks to me like a FOF counterpart to an NFL guy like WR John Ross, maybe. Early draft pick, some reasons to click him down as an asset, but still looks like a very productive player. My scout rates him 52 overall, but 60+ in both KR/PR, and all around a pretty solid long-term WR3, I'd guess.

Briggs is less exciting, but he's a high-chem asset, with 8 starts under his belt (not sure how they managed that), and enough skill to project as a WR4, I'd think. No standout skills, just a rotation guy - probably more valuable in a league with injuries, to be honest.

Without the affinities, this is not good value for a late 1st. Given the strong chemistry, and the super-cheap bonus-free contracts, maybe it's a closer call. I don't think I make this deal (in the dark of an insomniac night) if I like my options at that pick, bit given my disappointment... it's a go.

This likely means we will cut both WR Corey Barber (FA signee in last stage) and veteran WR Benjamin Wiggins (another cut-friendly signing from this stage). They're surplus at this point, these guys are good enough to boost chemistry and see the field as warranted for the near and long term.

I like this move. And, as I write, my top pick from the draft queue (a chem guy my scouts like, but who doesn't look great to me) is still there as we are 7 picks away, and cold easily end up being our pick at 2.32, rather than at 1.32. That would put the cherry on top.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote