View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 07:58 AM   #212
QuikSand
lolzcat

In the last stage of early free agency, I make a speculative move - one that I didn't expect to work out, but it did.

LB Kenny Fernandez

So... he's interesting in multiple ways. He might not stick on the roster at all, but if he does...

-he's got enough pass rushing potential to make me intrigued about getting him slotted as a pass rusher, despite his fairly diminutive size

-he's got enough coverage skill where I could even consider foregoing the pass rushing skill and instead using him as a safety, potentially asking him to drop pounds and shift over

-most weird for me, he's a massive affinity centerpiece, so for the moment he takes the chemistry lead away from LB McCarthy (who's a 7-8 guy with a 95 personality), but who seems to have picked a bad time to be stubborn (he's grouchy about playing time, and just turned down a second three-year extension offer)

I need to sort out what the chem setup would look like with Fernandez as our D7 leader. He's an 11-12 guy, so he'd be in the right group... I know it would drop out young DE Hancock (who is also an 11-12 guy) and who fits squarely into my long term plans... but I haven't yet sorted out what else might connect with a shift like this. A 7th year leader with 95 leadership and 99 personality who looks good enough to play a lot would be much easier to build around than McCarthy and his various quirks. We'll see.

(I even signed an old friend, LB Robert Lester, as a spec pickup in case Fernandez keeps the leaderhsip role, and makes him a match)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote