View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 07:52 AM   #230
QuikSand
lolzcat

Ok, back after some league stutter-steps.

FA opens up, and I have an unusual conundrum. I honestly don't know how much to offer a top-tier free agent. He's a 5th year CB, drafted with pick 1.6, looks and has played great, and the AI team stupidly decided to let him walk. So, he is a centerpiece type player. Neutral to our chemistry, but he's a top tier talent. I want him, but... how much should I offer?

I submitted a file offering him $49m/yr. But there was a league glitch, and we had to redo our files. I submitted the second time offering him $44m/yr, heavy bonus. I can't claim there was deep, deep reasoning there.

Anyway... Dakota Dominguez

He signs for just shy of $50. My $49m would probably have been a bit short, anyway.

(preachiness warning)

In the continuum of FOF skills, understanding free agency is an important one. I think I'm better at it than most owners, which helps offset my relatively weak drafting a good deal.

It's important in this league because we have lots of AI teams who don't understand that no high-quality player should ever be allowed to walk like this. And because we refuse to use a cap control mechanism, it becomes perfectly irrational to "overpay" free agents like this, because you are afforded the privilege of "underpaying" most of your own quality players where your only negotiation opposition is the in-game logic routines. (This guy got $50m/yr in the open market, but would have settled for maybe $22m or something like that if the AI team has simply extended his contract... that's what I'm talking about)

The free market is best. I'm a guy who thrives on cohesion and playing this stuff wisely, so the current system works fairly well for me, just in my own self-interest. I get to extend lots of my good-chem guys with no risk of seeing them walk away.

But overall, in a robust multi-player league, we should take every opportunity to move the competition to being player-versus-player rather than player-versus-program. The cap reduction tool is the best mechanism to do that, in my view.

Last edited by QuikSand : 08-08-2018 at 07:52 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote