View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #82
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Understood. I've read that public universities prefer out-of-state students (e.g. better chance of getting accepted). I do want to explore out of state univ that have been getting "high scores" like Univ of NC, TX, VA.

It's complicated by the fact that states set law/policy differently on this kind of thing. UNC-Chapel Hill is basically an Ivy League school for out-of-state applicants because there's an 18% enrollment cap. Those OOS students also are much likelier to be in prestigious scholarship programs, the honors program, athletes, etc.

Other states/schools may opt for revenue maximization instead. One extreme example I've heard of is UC-Boulder, where the stakes are the reverse of at UNC. Boulder apparently loves admitting OOS and international students and having them pay the out-of-state premium, and as a result, it's really hard for Coloradans to get into.

All that to say YMMV. If your kid's interested in a particular school, or level of selectivity, research into OOS public universities can be productive.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote