View Single Post
Old 06-20-2003, 02:44 AM   #67
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 24, 2002

Northampton Chroncile & Echo

Match Day

KETTERING-- Today brings to conclusion what has been an intriguing week for the Kettering Town Poppies.

They started it last Saturday with a hard fought 2-0 loss against Barnet at Rockingham Road. They also lost an ugly match at Stevenage Tuesday night. And in and around the matches, they made other news.

Kettering's and manager Matthew Kieta's name appeared in national papers most of the week for the Poppies' pursuit of famed Irish midfield star-turned-coach Ray Houghton for a coaching position with the team. Although the venture was unsuccessful, it was notable for being attempted at all by a Conference side.

The failure to land Houghton didn't stop the Poppies from hiring two other coaches in Shaun Reid and Raymond Starrett this week. They also added two well-regarded scouts in Chris Lynch and Ian John.

Finally, the Poppies addressed the team on the pitch, working out loan agreements for three players expected to help the club generate more offense. Striker Chris Thompson from Grimsby Town, forward Ryan Trudgian from Plymouth, and midfielder Andy Dowie from the Rangers are all with the team and are set to make their debut in today's match.

Scarborough comes into the Rock to become the first side to face Kettering with the new additions in place. Scarborough, like Kettering, has yet to score in the Conference season, opening with a 1-0 loss to Stevenage at home last Saturday, and a 4-0 obliteration on the road against Woking.

Other Conference Matches

Match of the Day: Barnet at Doncaster-- The Rovers are rolling right now, having dominated Leigh RMI, 2-0, at home last Saturday, and then following it up with an even stringer 3-1 defeat of Morecambe on the road. The defense has been spectacular, allowing just six total shots in the two matches. The Bees have been nearly as dominant. They did well to come out of Kettering with a 2-0 victory last Saturday, and then they waxed Forest Green, 3-0, in the home opener. Both teams were picked to be among the best in the table prior to the season.

Also tonight:

Woking at Burton Albion
Morecambe at Dag & Red
Southport at Farnborough
Stevenage at Forest Green
Northwich at Gravesend & Northfleet
Yeovil at Halifax
Leigh RMI at Hereford
Scarborough at Kettering
Telford at Margate
Chester at Nuneaton Borough

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote