View Single Post
Old 01-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #475
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm going to get a jump start on redshirts/cuts:

QB - Six players, all rated between 6-7 for current ability. Yuck. We cut one but can't redshirt anyone except freshman Trung Shy - who we plan to start.

HB - We cut Brett Smith, who was terrible (2/4).

FB - No changes.

WR - Orlando Sharpe, the #394 recruit in the land, comes in at 9/15. I hope he is willing to accept limited PT this year. We redshirt the other two guys: Mickey Nix (7/14) and Mike Wesley (6/13). Based on grades, I think Sharpe will get some chances.

TE - Bad group, we keep a stiff as the #3 option.

OT - We cut Michael Masters, whose name is cooler than his game (JR, 4/5).

OG - Grades are a huge issue here, so we keep 6. Even though I'm dying to cut one stiff.

C - The two incoming freshmen mean that I can cut bustout JR Doug Smith (2/6).

DE - Yo Hampton (3/6), you are cut!

DT - 3 new freshmen = cuts. JR Wayne Martin (1/3) and his 3.60 GPA are gone. SR Todd Stradford (2/6) is gone. Since grades are bad we keep 6 guys around.

ILB - no moves

OLB - We don't need 7 players here. But the talent is pretty even right now (all between 7-8 current). We dump SR Ben Greisen (7/9), who was a pretty solid walkon.

CB - Only 3 guys here. Pretty scary. And two have grade issues. I'm going to have to move someone here ...

FS - Cut Reyna Craig (4/7).

SS - None

We move WR Mickey Nix (7/14) to CB to help out. He is projected POOR/GOOD. But that didn't work out that well, as he comes in at 2/7. Looks like he is lined up for a future cut although he will get some time this year. Bummer.

Our coordinator is recommending Smashmouth, but our line is better suited for pass blocking. I'm going with Balanced instead.

Defensively, our guy wants to go 3-4. Since I want to limit our CB play, I'm going with 4-4. Hopefully I'm not inviting disaster overruling the coordinators.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote