View Single Post
Old 05-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Dev Diary #4 Posted - The Spirits are Restless (Dungeon 3)

Heya folks!

I'm working on and off on a variety of changes for the next iteration of the Dungeon. I thought it would be a lot of fun if I introduced you to a few changes that will be happening in the next installment of D3 in order to market/build momentum, and keep y'all abridged of it.

So in true Paradox Entertainment fashion, here is the first developmental diary of D3!

Enter Chaos

We will be introducing some flavors of chaos into the next version of the Dungeon. Straight from some worlds (*cough, GW's Warhammer cough*) and specifically that iteration as told by Zangband (in case you care at all) we'll be creating a new slate of mechanics for your D3 experience!

What will that look like? How will it manifest? Obviously this is early days, but....

Crunchy Bits:

Beastman Race - As a race, the beastmen have a huge connection with chaos. Each one looks very different than any others. They typically stand anywhere between 5 and 6 1/2 feet tall, have broad strong humanoid features, and usually a bestial face, often with goat or another animal's resemblance. The Beastmen are virtually the personification of chaos. As a result, they Mutate every time they gain a level into a random mutation. Additionally, they cannot take any class that requires any form of order or self-control, as that is an anathema to them. They can be almost any type of fighter class - Myrmidon, Berserkers, Chaos Warriors, and Rangers. (Not Paladins or Kensai). They can also be a special Chaos Priest. If they take Priest, they cannot Cure or use any healing spells at all, but they can cast all of the Cause spells as though they were evil. (Although they are not evil, Beastman cannot be evil or good - those concepts are not on the docket). Chaos Priests also gain the ability to, once per day, Cause Mutation in a willing party member.

Chaos Warrior Class - Just as paladins are aligned with good, this class of fighter is closely aligned with Chaos. They control it, steep in, in, and rejoice in pure and unadulterated chaos. They may use any weapon or armor, but eschew the use of a shield. They don't have the desire to learn a weapon well enough to specialize in it. All Chaos Warriors gain one mutation every other level, and whenever a Chaos Warrior Mutates, for any reason, they are given two results and can choose which they want in a PM. They are also under the effects of a constant Luck spell, which gives them an automatic 1 in 6 chance to find anything hidden without bothering to look, and they get a +1 bonus to any effect that requires a saving throw to avoid. After all, they are chaos. Only races suitable to a purely chaotic mindset can apply to be a Chaos Warrior - Beastmen, Humans, Taurians and Trow are the only ones that can be a Chaos Warrior.

Mutations - An additional mechanic being added is that of mutation. Mutations can be cause by Beastman, Chaos Warrior, the Chaos Priest's daily Cause Mutation spell, and could be the result of magical items or rooms as well. Anytime a mutation occurs, the roll will occur in the Dungeon thread, so everyone will see it. Only Chaos Warriors are different, because any mutation that happens to them can be chosen from two, and then is announced. The Mutation list will not be revealed. Sorry, but that's the point of Chaos! But I will tell you this:

Mutation Chart:

Very Good Mutation - 10%
Good Mutation - 35%
Good and Bad Mutation - 20%
Meaningless Mutation - 20%
Bad Mutation - 10%
Very Bad Mutation - 5%

I roll on that chart to find out the results, and then on a separate chart I prepared for that category.

Enjoy the first Dev Diary on D3, coming to a thread near you....eventually...!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 06-01-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote