View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #349
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yeah fun game to watch, Pop's reluctance to play any bigs meant Gobert ran riot. The last couple of minutes of the game in particular he was huge on both ends.

USA with some real poor decision making and turnovers in the last 2 minutes also. I think most of the blame for this result has to go with the guys who didn't turn up versus those that did., and I think Kemba and Mitchell are perhaps the only two ideal guys you'd want to return on the Olympics' squad. I thought Myles Turner would've been better in this format, but alas no. Pops sat him a lot, but no question he was a bit shaky on the defensive end in particular.

Australia stays undefeated and is through to the Semis with our win over a sneaky good Czech Republic, giving us two shots at our first medal. If we get the revenge win over Spain (re: our Olympics clash in Brazil) it's for gold against winner of France-Argentina, if we lose it's bronze versus the loser of that game. Already our highest placing at a world cup and first time we've ever finished on top of Team USA in any international tourney.
Myles Turner wasn't the problem, the problem is that he isn't as good as Rudy Gobert & he was miles better than any other big. I'm fine with him as #2/3 C, but it's basically Anthony Davis or bust for next Summer's Olympics. Could still win without them if better wings show up or outside shots fall, but even this Serbia game it's a glaring weakness.

Tatum was valuable too when he played, and I actually think Marcus Smart should always be the 11/12th man, but the rest other than Mitchell are fungible at best. I love Kemba, but if Steph & Dame want to play idk if a 3rd guard of that type is necessary.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote