Old 02-23-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

2121 PREVIEW

COLORADO CUBS

PREDICTION: 55-107 (al central)
FIVE YEAR WIN TREND:

STADIUM: Coors Field

Gone are the Elders from Salt Lake City. Well not really. The team still exists as the AAA club of the Cubs. Gone are the Gold Sox, too. Except they're not really gone. They're just 385 miles to the south in Amarillo.

Say hello to the Colorado Cubs.

Two years removed from their last playoff appearance, whatever is left of this team's core is gone and they're essentially a bottom feeder seeking to get out of a hole.

After an off-season that was best described as "one of the worst of all of the teams in the majors," it'll be an uphill climb in a new market trying to convince fans to support a franchise that was once their longtime rivals down I-80.

New GM Matt Mills, the architect of championship teams in Great Plains and most recently the two-time defending champion Washington Maroons inherits a team with no farm system (like Great Plains) or the ability to spend to a title (like Washington) and so, can he pull a rabbit out of a hat a third time?

Not this year, no.

Worst off-seasons by team: (by WAR)

ROTATION:

BATTING:

PLAYERS TO WATCH:

24-year old Philippine import starting pitcher Jeremy Angeles is a rookie. We purchased his contract from the Indian League before he could ever make a start there after hearing about him (Note: he's actually a created player of someone from the main dynasty this is a spinoff of.) and knowing this team needed SOME kind of core talent, we're hoping he'll be that guy.

1B John Larsen came to us from the West Virginia Alleghenies in a trade where we sent four guys. The problem with him is the 19-year old is too good for AAA but teams were reluctant to start him after a hot year for the New York Gothams (5.7 WAR two years ago), he got traded to West Virginia at the deadline last year but they still missed the playoffs. He was then stuck behind another big bopper and we plucked him in the hopes that he can provide some infusion of something and rebuild his career before it sputters.

OF Jayden Fralin is another guy who we picked up. He was actually in the free agent draft as the 7th pick by Memphis. But I knew we needed an outfielder and he's only 20 years old (0.5 WAR) and came from the NABL, so he's technically a rookie. I feel like he can offer something.

I also claimed a few other guys off the scrap heap who'll be familiar to ABA fans like Joe Peters IV.

We're playing stats only in this league, but I do have stars on because it's nice for clerical purposes when I want to go quickly.

I think overall this team will not be very good. We'll have a few good guys. I wish we could trade our overpriced ace pitcher Thabit, but no one wants him (Trust me, I tried...) and overall, we'll just try to get through this season.

I NEVER play out every game, I'm a GM type, but for the first time EVER on these forums, I'm going to going to do a game-by-game dynasty where I post the results. I'm trying to cut down on my post work typing though so I might just do a lot of posting of box score screenshots and then chime in with limited dialogue when the situation calls for it.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote