View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 05:13 AM   #1135
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Club Championship
Third Annual Anil Cup

Third edition ended the same way the first two did; Nicolas Perez against John Hart. And this one was a doozy. Feast on this scoreline: 7-5, 6-7(7), 6-4, 6-7(2), 7-6(7). Perez came within inches of losing all three tiebreaks. He could have lost this match at the end; he could also be slapping himself for not winning it in straight sets had he prevailed in the second-set breaker. 401 total points contested, so both players were really winners as they racked up the XP. Hart was fairly soundly outplayed, but somebody forgot to tell him that he's not the champion anymore. Perez becomes the first player to claim the Anilophiles crown in consecutive years.

Perhaps he was making up for the fact that he had lost only nine games combined in the previous two rounds against Algot Hakanson and my own youth Nasir Chittoor. Clavet Moniotte completed a perfect group of all four seeded players making the semis, losing a respectable straight-sets effort to Hart. Interestingly, the Irish no. 1 tried to lose his first two matches almost. Tommy Fitzpatrick had a heartbreaker in the first round for the second year in a row, taking the first two sets before losing the next two ... and then getting bageled in the decisive 5th. Harsh. Then Seamus Hughes put in his two cents, requiring another rally from two sets down.

Doubles could care less about your pointless rankings. Top seeds Corey/Pargeter departed stage right to Intodia/Alenichev in the first round. Not to be outdone, (2) Guha/Chittoor were straight-set losers to qualifiers Hakanson/Moniotte. In the end, Irish power duo Hart/Hughes steamrolled the field, knocking aside another qualifying pair, Chiba/Kasaravalli 6-2, 6-2, 6-1 in the title match. That's ... embarassingly thorough.

Guha, for his singles part, lost his qualifying match against Ritwik Intodia who would go on to beat another qualifier in Guintcehv to be the only qualifier to make the quarterfinals. Bravo! Perez (against Chiba) and Moniotte (against Kasaravalli) straight-setted my senior players in the first round of singles. That means Chittoor was the only one he got a match win, and that because he was matched up favorably against Kayeeda. But as always it was still fun.

I nominate Perez for early retirement (jk). Soon it'll be fun to see who is fighting for second place here.

Coming Up …

Next, I spam the thread with more info than you could possibly care about regarding the start of another new year of competition.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-02-2019 at 05:14 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote