View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 01:54 AM   #159
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The annual reports are now complete. We had quite the first WTC clash to begin 2041 ...

World Team Cup, Level 1 Group 2 First Round
Czech Republic vs. Sri Lanka, Hard

Monday -- Iglar flattened Girsh in the first match, surprising nobody. It was competitive, 6-4, 6-2, 6-4, and a good learning experience which is about all I could ask for.

Tuesday -- Mehul evened up the tie against Marcek, though it didn't look good early. He cruised through the last two sets for a 2-6, 7-6(8), 6-2, 6-2 win to start off his year.

Wednesday -- Girsh/Mehul faced off against Nedved/Marcek, a match we needed to win but I frankly didn't expect to. They continue to be a surprisingly effective doubles pairing despite not working at all on that aspect, and won a competitive 6-2, 4-6, 6-3, 7-5 victory. Up 2-1, we just needed one upset in the reverse singles to get a big upset!

Thursday -- This was our best chance, to have Mehul knock off the seeming invincible Iglar. It looked like he might do it as well, taking two of three breakers to begin the match. At the end, he couldn't quite hold off the champion and lost after one heck of an effort in what I think is longest, most epic match any of my players has had. 6-7(4), 7-6(1), 6-7(2), 6-4, 6-4 was the final, both players exhausted by the end of the 392 points required. Iglar was just a little bit stronger those last couple of sets, but it was very close.

Friday -- In the decider, Girsh did not have the day I hoped for and Marcek blasted him off the court, 6-3, 6-1, 6-3. Bit of a downer to have such an anticlimactic end to a fine tie, but we were expected to lose anyway.

Czech Republic defeats Sri Lanka, 3-2.

We will next have Spain, and unless we pull off the upset we aren't making it out of the group stage. They blanked Mexico 5-0 as expected. We will face the Mexicans last in what figures to be a battle to avoid a playoff spot. That will be on clay, but I doubt it will matter -- they are just outclassed right now.

Due to events elsewhere, Sri Lanka moves up one spot to 25th despite the defeat.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote