View Single Post
Old 10-25-2015, 09:03 PM   #174
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Sri Lanka Rankings Update

Anil Mehul -- 8th to 6th singles, 128th to 91st doubles. It was a breakout stretch in what is his worst time of the year, with only the French Open even a minor disappointment. Mehul now sets his aim higher. I expect him to improve on a subpar last year, and if he does, breaking into the Top 4 by year's end is not at all out of the question. On the whole, I believe he has turned a corner and surpassed most of his rivals. The question remains whether he is yet good enough to beat them consistently.

Girsh Girsh -- 36th to 26th singles, 106th to 87th doubles. Girsh is now firmly entrenched as an elite player, despite the disappointing loss at the UNICEF Open. He will need to do very well to even maintain his current position however, as he will be losing the points from five Challenger titles won during the second half of last year. The most immediate goal is to continue moving up to reach the Top 16, carrying with it seeding at all Masters events. Beyond that, there is the chase of Marcel Bahana. The skill gap between them is narrowing, but Bahana has been even more successful this year, already up to 15th. I'll delve more into that comparison at the end of the year.

Prakash Mooljee -- 67th to 68th juniors. Gradually he is losing ground bit by bit to his contemporaries who, while lacking Mooljee's staying power, are pushing forward to reach physical maturity first. In the long run, slow and steady tends to be more rewarding. As always we take the patient view, and more Tier-3 tournaments will likely be in the offing.

Manager Ranking -- 16th to 15th, 16.5k to 17.4k. Meanwhile, the record high of oprice continues to rise, reaching the previously unapproached level of over 57k.

Coming Up ...

The summer break is now upon us. Success has it's price in terms of the smaller events. Girsh will likely play in either Atlanta or Washington, while Mehul will have a full month off until the US hardcourt Masters start the leadup to the US Open.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote