View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 12:54 AM   #201
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Top Ten Rankings Update

1. Antonin Iglar(25, CZE) -- 15,050

It's pretty hard to improve on perfection; Iglar is off to an unblemished 32-0 start through the year's first quarter and holds a monstrous lead over the fading Benda. He's now tied for 7th all-time with a full dozen Masters titles, and more accolades are coming.

2. Bjorn Benda(27, DEU) -- 9,860

Benda is increasingly vulnerable off of clay as I've mentioned, but his days as a top player will truly be over when he loses his grip on that kingdom. That probably happens next year, but it's not out of the question that Bahana could begin to depose him this year. More than ever he needs to be strong during the upcoming spring, and surprisingly it looks like he's going to skip Monte Carlo once again. Not a wise choice in my opinion.

3. Anil Mehul(26, SRI) -- 8,700

No major titles this year(Auckland 250 is the only one) but he's done everything but with three finals losses to Iglar. He's now in striking distance of Benda, and should surpass him in the fall if not sooner. It's increasing clear that his ascendance to no. 2 is only a matter of time.

4. David Alvarez(29, ESP) -- 6,530

The latest to wear the title of 'best of the rest', Alvarez has been solid but unspectacular. He's made the quarters of all the hardcourt events, took a clay 500 in Acapulco, and generally has handled his business to maintain his spot.

5. Perry Hogue(28, USA) -- 6,080

With 30 match wins already and semis at all three of the big events so far, Hogue is off to a fine start, refusing to fade away gracefully just yet.

6. Viktor Goncharenko(29, RUS) -- 4,735

The latest top player to leave before he wears out his welcome, Goncharenko skipped Miami and IW and appears to be headed for early retirement. He hasn't been seen in any events of note since a 4th-round exit in Australia. He's still a guy who can be an occasional threat, especially during the upcoming middle of the year on clay and grass, but it looks like that won't be the case.

7. Cestmir Marcek(28, CZE) -- 4,530

Clearly not the player he was a year or so ago, Marcek is just hanging on now and probably not for too much longer.

8. Pierce Gaskell(25, USA) -- 4,035

Gaskell still looks like he's headed for the Top 5 by year's end. He has titles already in San Jose and Sydney, and has been quarterfinalist or better everywhere except Miami, where he had a close loss to a countryman ...

9. Perry Mockler(26, USA) -- 3,210

Say hello to the latest member of the Top 10. Mockler is basically Gaskell without the speed around the court. He's a fine player though and appears to be a late developer a la Marcek a couple of years ago. His run to the Miami semis was a breakout performance of sorts: now it's time to see if he can back it up. He's got the game to add considerably to last year's spring performance.

10. Marcel Bahana(24, ESP) -- 3,000

The latest youth movement, aka 'Generation Flash', is served. I told you it was coming. Bahana has been solid so far and with Hammerstein and Almagro plummeting past he moves up to the first page now. I still think he'll come up short against Benda on clay but he's better than anyone else there if he is prepared. I expect him to knock off some big names in the coming months.

A sleeper to mention here is Peru's Thiago Herrera. He's gradually been on the rise, and is another guy who could be ready to knock off some giants on clay. If he gets the right draws, although only 15th right now, he could be knocking on the door of the Top 10 soon.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote