View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 08:27 AM   #231
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

2042 World Team Cup Finals
Germany vs. Sri Lanka, Clay

So leading up to this, I thought for a while about what possibilities there might be for us to come up with an upset. I didn't think of anything realistic. 3-2 Germany seemed almost certain. But you know, that's why they play the matches ...

Monday -- Bjorn Benda(3rd) vs. Girish Girsh(11th)

Benda's not losing to a second-tier player on clay. This was Germany's most favorable rubber of the whole thing. After a 6-2, 6-1, 6-2 drubbing, they led 1-0.

Tuesday -- Harald Oncken(29th) vs. Anil Mehul(2nd)

This was even more one-sided, with Mehul handing out at triple-bagel. No break points faced, total points were 72-17. Yowzer. Even more one-sided than expected. 1-all.

Wednesday -- H.Arendt/R. Wagel vs. G. Girsh/A. Mehul

This was one rubber that had just the slightest smidgeon of doubt attached. We were still really up against it here, but just maybe .... nope. 7-6(6), 6-2, 6-2. Winning that tiebreak would have helped, but 19 double faults are the only reason it wasn't even worse. Once the rallies started it was no contest. 2-1 Germany.

Thursday -- Bjorn Benda(3rd) vs. Anil Mehul(2nd)

The marquee matchup, and one that would have given me a glimmer of potential hope -- Mehul did lead 2-0 at RG -- if not for the fatigue factor. Benda was also the fresher player, which meant hopeless again. He's still the world's dominant clay player. Sometimes I hate being right. 7-6(3), 6-1, 6-2. Would have been nice to put up a little more resistance after the first set, but the ending was written. With this, Germany clinches the 2042 World Team Cup Championship, and we are runners-up. Sigh.

Friday -- Harald Oncken(29th) vs. Girsh Girsh(11th)

The final-day rubber is dead. It was actually the best match of the week, closer than expected. But once again the expected result came about, Girsh prevailing 6-3, 6-2, 4-6, 7-5. The blip of the second half of the match notwithstanding, he gets the win.

Germany defeats Sri Lanka, 3-2!

So we are literally one rubber short of the goal. This was just our second year in Level 1, and our first past the group stage though. Given that, it is one heck of a year. And beating the Germans on clay -- not going to happen with Benda around, unfortunately. We dip a spot to 13th, and wait to see who our opponents will be next year.

In just three weeks time, 2053 will be upon us with the first round of group play. A brief respite, and we'll be right back at it hoping to get back to this point again.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote