View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #252
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Sri Lanka Rankings Update

Anil Mehul -- 2nd singles(unchanged), 259th to 373rd doubles. It's been an up-and-down year for Mehul but mostly a good one, with a 40-5 record his best at this point overall. Surprisingly clay Masters wins and a repeat at Wimbledon more than overcome the early RG departure and struggles in the hardcourt Masters.

In the longer-term though, his career has reached a critical point. Both Mehul and 'legend in his own time' Iglar have now past their peak. Not by much, but a few weeks before Wimbledon it become clear that the aging process is now accelerating to the point where he can no longer stay ahead of it. This would be a much bigger concern if there were any bigtime up-and-coming young players, but the weakness of Generation Flash will likely allow him to maintain his status for a while, at least for the most part.

Girish Girsh -- 7th to 6th singles, 260th to 374th doubles. A slow and steady rise continues, and the bad news for Mehul and Iglar means Girsh is by far the best player in the world who is still improving. As time goes on, the competitive balance should tip more and more in his favor. He's been consistent this year but hasn't had many breakthroughs, partly because he's been in Iglar's quarter a lot. The law of averages, both through draws and the advance of time, should turn his way soon.

Prakash Mooljee -- 1071st to 698th singles, 2098th to 1752nd doubles. As I write this Mooljee has just finished up another Tier-3 futures title not included in these rankings, eking out another tight final to make him 28-0 on the year in singles. I expect him to hit more resistance soon, as he'll move up to about 560th and will be taking on bigger futures events now. So far though, it's been a picture-perfect year for him as he continues to move up the rankings ladder. His goal at this point is to be ready to make the jump to challenger-level play by year's end.

Manager Ranking -- 4th to 3rd, 26.1k to 28.6k points. The last few months were very kind with Mehul having some unexpected titles, and Girsh performing consistently. Hayato in 2nd place is still over 2k ahead -- he's the guy who manages Hammerstein. oprice rolls on, not setting any new records this year but presently at 62k. Once I reach second place, I'll probably be staying there for a good long while.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote