View Single Post
Old 09-25-2022, 06:56 PM   #1292
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Australian Open: Championship Week

The surprise quarterfinalist, George Voronets, had the misfortune of playing Faille although there would be no favorable matchup at this point. He managed to take six games, a summary dismissal. Jochen Weigle had a straight-sets loss to Cananis, Ale Ballok the same against Polychroniadis, and Solitris Papadias managed a set at leasts .... before Bardales sent him packing 3-6, 7-5, 6-1, 7-6(4).

Top four players into the semifinals. Bardales and Faille both failed to win a set. There were tiebreakers in each match, they were close, but no sign that the status quo would yet be overturned. So, for the 45th time, almost all of those coming in the last four years, it was Renke Cananis vs. Leon Polychroniadis. The Greek took his 7th Slam and second straight Australian Open, 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-3, 6-4. He remains #2 ... narrowly ... but it breaks a three-match winning streak by Cananis and ensures the rivalry stays very much alive. As for Voronets, he moves up 8 spots in the rankings to 19th. Still in the same overall 'bracket', but threatening to take it up to the Top-16 tier. At the moment, his AO showing accounts for almost 20% of his ranking points.

Up Next

Our second round of the World Team Cup is next week, and given what I discussed about trainers in the other thread, I've decided to take Manoj Datar up to 4.5 before he joins the training ranks. I invested his stored-up xp to that end, which should also help his performance a bit. Narrowly, he becomes once more the best tennis player in the world from Sri Lanka, at 32 years young. We'll see if that pays any dividends for our national aspirations in the short-term, but it certainly can't hurt.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-25-2022 at 06:59 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote