World Team Cup Level 4 Group 3 Round 3
Sri Lanka (51st) vs. Uzbekistan (72nd), Indoors

Monday: A. Sankait l. M. al Hamadani, 6-3, 6-2, 7-5
Tuesday: S. Srivastava l. M. Norbaev, 4-6, 7-6(4), 7-5, 6-4
Wednesday: Sankait/Choudhury l. Israfilov/Ibadinov, 6-1, 6-3, 7-5
Thursday: A. Sankait l. M. Norbaev, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
Friday: S. Srivastava l. M. al. Hamadani, 6-3, 6-3, 7-5

Uzbekistan defeats Sri Lanka, 5-0.

The obvious question is here is 'wait ... what ... where is Manoj Datar? Well I learned a Fun Fact (tm); your fatigue can be too high and disqualify you from playing in the World Team Cup. And Datar's endurance is at 1.5 and not going in the right direction, so this is going to become an intermittent problem - it's very hard to control fatigue when endurance is below 2. So that's that, and we get skunked by a nation over 20 spots lower in the rankings, although at least Srivastava got out there for the first time, which did gain him about an extra half-weeks worth or thererabouts of experience compared to what he would normally get.

The sad part is that this is the good news for the week. The bad news; Chinese Taipei beat Tunisia 3-2. That means Tunisia and Uzbekistan have 2 points each and move on to the quarterfinals. Chinese Taipei and Sri Lanka have 1 point each, and we lost the tiebreaker badly. Sri Lanka finishes last in the group in Level 4. There's only one place you can go down from here, and I don't know the exact criteria for whether that insult will be visited upon us or not. Will any of the 22 nations that aren't in the World Team Cup replace us next year? That indignity could indeed be in our future, but we'll have to wait several months to find out. I was really hoping we'd luck into third place and then I'd be able to do better maybe next year.

From a storytelling point of view, it would be more poetic to truly sink to the very bottom, but from a 'let's turn this ship around ASAP' I'd kind of rather not. Ahh well. We slip to 55th overall, and I think we probably have above-average odds of hanging on to our spot, but that's just a guess. There's nothing for it but to just do my best to keep getting Datar ready to be a trainer and improving the young players as best I can, so that we are prepared for whatever happens.

Guh.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-05-2022 at 04:31 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote