View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #403
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I've seen various & sundry people mention the added stress that social media seems to be causing them, so I'm gonna share a thought fwiw: it's okay to take a day off.

Yesterday turned out to be largely disconnected from the world outside my batcave. With only a couple of exceptions to let friends vent about their own situations, I basically played Stellaris for 12 hours.

And that's okay.

We have to make sure we give ourselves permission to take those breaks (even if I have been dealing today with a literal stranger bitching at me cause I failed to update my weekly spotify playlist in a fashion timely enough to suit him)

I think this is largely why this Im not feeling the burden of this that so many are. This site, a Clemson recruiting message board and an offroad and trail riding forum I founded 15 years ago are the total extent of my social media presence. Ive never had a facebook, myspace, insta,snap whatever account. If it isnt physically interacting with me I dont see it, know about it, or candidly sort of even care about it.

It makes me cold to lots of people, has cost me some friends, but it keeps me (relatively) sane and for the most part happy. I understand the COVID pandemic is a big deal intellectually but it truly has had almost no impact on my life.

It makes me at times feel like Im walking around in a bit of an alternate reality. I think a doctor would probably have a diagnosis of anti-social or something but Im just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Well said and it probably needs to be repeated a bit more often. If it is possible for you to avoid social media, take the opportunity to do so.

1,000,000 x this. And it is 100% Possible for 100% of people. There is no one who can't avoid it.

Its ok if you choose not to avoid it, just recognize and understand that we all can.
Just accepting that choice can be empowering.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote