View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #17
BYU 14
Coordinator

2013 Off season

Stadium
Stadium is upgrade already in progress, so nothing to do here, on to staff retention!

Staff
Bill Musgrave’s contract is up, so he is gone. We are middle to bottom third in every category but rushing attempts, no thank you. DC Alan Williams will stay, but I will be looking for upgrades everywhere else.

I decide to take a gamble and in the head coach phase I bypass known names who are available (Mike Shanahan, Jim Haslett) and take 46 yr old Tom Quinn, Assistant Head Coach of the Giants to return the Vikings to glory. He is 2 to 3 ½ bars in every category, could be a steal. Our new OC is 37 year Sean Stone, focus on TE’s and pretty solid in all areas but interviewing. I keep Alan Williams to lead the Defense and after much thought select Carlton Malone to replace Mike Singletary as Asst Head Coach. I round it out by replacing Tom Kanavy with Darnell Butler, a near complete house cleaning.

Raise ticket prices slightly, no franchise tag.

Free Agency
31 million under the cap and we need a starting QB, OG and MLB as our top three needs, with a starting WLB and WR up there too. Before we start I renegotiate with Adrian Peterson, 4 years, 37 million, but his cap number drops from 14 mil to 10, then I renegotiate Chad Greenway and shave 2 million off his cap number with a 3 year deal worth 15.5 million. I try Jared Allen, but he wants more, so on to free agency with 37 million under the cap.

The draft is deep at DT, has a couple of QB’s that will be gone when I pick and 2 good guards that may be around. MLB is weak and the two receivers I like may be gone as well, so MLB, WLB and WR will be my top free agency targets.

Free agents signed
WR Percy Harvin (60/60) 3 yrs 9.13 mil (Welcome home Percy!)
WR DeSean Jackson (59/59) 4 yrs 24.63 mil
RG Jamon Meredith (47/49) 2 yrs 3.25 mil
RB Darren Sproles (51/51) 2 yrs 3.32 mil
WLB Wesley Woodyard (44/44) 3 yrs 6.14 mil
MLB James Laurinaitis (62/62) 4 yrs 28.83 mil (Game changer with Greenway)

Free agents lost
RB Toby Gerhart – Atl
DT Fred Evans DT - Pit
SLB Marvin Mitchell - Mia
DE Everson Griffin – Ari (Goes home to Arizona)
RG Seth Olsen - STL

Draft (Graded at a B)
1: T Andres Castillo (24/47) Oklahoma – Top rated player I interviewed left, 2 reds, 3 blues, couldn’t pass him up, will push Phil Loadholt at RT.
2: DT Cosey Anthony (26/40) Humboldt St – 2 blues, almost went QB, but there are plenty left, so won’t reach for one. He will replace Evans.
3: QB Maximus Roaf (8/31) Missouri – 3 blues, three QBs were higher than him, but I love his 4.58 40, scouted numbers are disappointing
4: DE Silas Ogden (23/38) Clemson – Depth, decent combine numbers, could be a sleeper
5: No Pick
6: RB James Houston (27/36) Arkansas St – Agile, but only a 4.65 40, did well in position drills
7: WR Archie Schulz (18/30) UNLV – Nothing special, blacks all the way across

Not ecstatic with my draft, as it doesn’t look like anyone will push to start, though Castillo sure tested well, guess we will see after camp. I do like the free agency pickups, our defense got a boost and I have some weapons to throw to outside now!

Fill in the bare spots on my roster and we are set for 2014, minus the fact there were no answers at QB to be found.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-19-2013 at 08:15 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote