View Single Post
Old 04-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

OL

In this no-injury league, with no OL encouraged to play ST, it seems we get a perfect insight. On the 121 plays where the punter was in, we lined up the exact same 5 guys: the long snapper instead of the starting C, the two starting guards, and then the other two OL (here one T and one C) who were not starters. Every single one of those guys got precisely 121 ST snaps. Seems clear. Not certain that "starting guards are IN" is hard coded, but I'd guess that it is.

DL
DE Anthony 100 E - 280
NY Calhoun 97 E - 133
DE Banks 49 N - 32
DE Mealey 20 N - 29
DE Whiting 54 N - 7
NT Neill 20 N - 5

Kinda weird. Hard to fit the puzzle pieces together here. Maybe if looked at in tandem with linebackers (as a D7 group) it might make more sense. But on the surface, the #1 guy got a lot of work, a nearly-as-good guy less than half as much, and a smattering to the "don't use" guys that seems close to random.

LB

OLB Floyd 36 E - 276 (another oops, new player, shouldve been discouraged)
ILB Layman 96 E - 213
OLB Randolph 84 E - 145
ILB Tanner 82 E - 7
ILB Wilkerson 13 N - 5
OLB James 38 N - 4

Why did Summer get so many ST snaps? he was in fact lined up to play in the 2WR set, and got 4 starts that way, but... well, I don't have a lot more to go on. He got over 600 defensive snaps, too... more than Layman. Why would he get heavy duty ahead of the other guys? Makes no sense to me, unless "OLB" is a designated pull-from subset and Randolph's 1000+ D snaps (or just his presence in the D personnel screens) made him less likely to get called in?

DB

CB Wordehoff 98 E - 275
CB Metzenbaum 94 E - 272
CB Baskerville 77 E - 204
CB Creel 42/66 E - 81
S Austin 55 N - 37
CB Slechta 63 N - 35
S Douglas 31 N - 33
CB Gallop 49 N - 28
CB Conway 35 N - 8

So... pattern here is decent but not 100% clear. Seems like the two guys at 275/272 were basically "full timers" for every time the game pulls from the DB group. A third DB most, but not all, of those windows. And a 4th DB seems more than random, but he was Encouraged, so that seems to matter (contrast w Slechta).

No major outcome here, but the shape of this seems to be semi-logical at least.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote