View Single Post
Old 10-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #1
sabotai
General Manager

Let's Learn Some Programming Languages (Go, Scala, Rust)

I suppose I should have known better with how nerdy this forum is, but I didn't realize we had so many programmers on the forum until Shane's post. For the last few months, I've been making a concerted effort to expand my repertoire of programming languages, frameworks, etc. that I am familiar with. As it is right now, I'm not that well rounded.

For the last 10+ years, I've mostly been focused on C#, done some things in WPF, but mostly used Unity. Some years ago, I also picked up Python, and I've mainly used that for some web scarping and machine learning, but nothing too advanced.

So I like to think I'm a pretty decent C# coder, able to do quite a lot in Unity, do a little in WPF. Last year, with all of the extra time I had with being off work for part of the year, I threw myself into levelling up my C# and that, at least I think, paid off. I feel like I'm a much better C# programmer than I was 18 months ago.

But now I'm looking to expand my skillset while I spend most of my time getting back to my Unity/C# projects. So most days I'll devote an hour or so towards some new languages, some new frameworks, some new libraries, etc. Obviously I won't be getting all of these up to Level 80 (to throw out an old WoW reference. Haven't played that game in forever. Don't even know if 80 is still the max level), but I'm hoping a few really grab me and I run with them. The two areas that interest me the most are game programming and machine learning, so considering what little I already know, Scala (and using it with Apache Spark) might be the early favorite.

Anyway, enough rambling. The first language up is Go and today I finished my first game, it's a very simple number guessing game. Let's take a look at it.

Last edited by sabotai : 10-26-2021 at 06:50 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote