View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

This morning, I got back out for a run for the first time since my half marathon DNF. Had to promise to my wife it would only be a short one and that I would take it very easy...

Was kinda chilly though. About 34F but felt like 32F. Dang, it's May 8th and I am running with gloves, knit hat, running tights and winbdreaker jacket. Furthermore, cars all have frost on their windshield!!! Oh well...

Lower back is still a bit stiff but it felt great to run a bit. Strangely, my glutes also seem to be the muscles that were worked out the most in that long hard run on Sunday. It's not an area that I usually feel as tense on runs. My hips are more of a weaker spot but no hip pain this morning at all.

Overall a pretty easy 3 miler, 5.09 km in 28:10, avg pace: 5:32/km (8:54/mile).
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/495378527

I will often convert distances (and paces) from km to miles (and from min/km to min/mile) but sometimes will leave them in metric form, depending on if I have time or not. Hopefully this doesn't make it too hard to follow.

All my thinking, calculations and especially pace planning are done in metric.

HR stayed pretty much in check, never going over 128 BPM. Very happy with that. Finished the run with 3 sets of 10 excentric calf raises. I often do that after short easy runs. I also often do planks but didn't want to this morning, mostly due to the stiff lower back...

Looking back through my Smashrun account, I see this was my first three day break since I started running back on May 30th 2013. Never before since that first run had I taken a break from running longer than 2 days. For a long while I was running every other day and sometimes would take a couple days break but never three days in a row. I find this to be pretty amazing...

Later on, I'll be back with something about the training plan that got me to my first half marathon and what I'm planning to do for the rest of Summer...

FM