View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #1123
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Don't agree with this. It's okay to pull a weapon and point it at a dangerous perp on the ground to control the situation.

Other than for Jemel pointing/waving his weapon at the cops when they arrived, he shouldn't have been shot.

We need to hear why the LEO's shot him. Hopefully there is a somewhat good explanation for this sorry situation.

I'm not suggesting how you should feel or what your values are. I am telling you as a certified CWP instructor that the teaching is, 'Do not draw unless you are 100% ready to shoot and do not shoot to injure'

This is the NRA's stance.

If you are not a licensed LEO your job is not to control a subject for arrest.

Your job is to evacuate until/unless there is a threat to you or your interests and if there is a threat your job is to eliminate the threat.

When the cops show up the gun should be out of site and your hands should be in plain site. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
We can criticize the individuals actions here or debate whether he followed proper protocols or should have done something differently, but let's be clear, the good guy with a gun theory is this: sell more guns.

What we also know is this, studies and statements by law enforcement continually show that the presence of additional guns makes control of active situations more difficult.

We also know trained law enforcement officers hit targets fairly infrequently (depending on the study, it can be as low as 30%). Though we don't have studies, it's reasonable to assume the average citizen with less training is going to hit targets even less frequently.

The theory here is deterrence, and the study that the NRA typically trots out is from the mid 90s and has largely been debunked based on bad data. (As an aside, it was put together by a kook of an author who then tried to peer review his own work by posing as alter identitied researchers.)

This leads to another issue in that in general, we do need more research. It's meager.

I dont disagree with anything you said here except the bold. It is not a safe assumption that good guy with gun is less trained or less frequently practiced than LEO. Locally LEO are required to range practice 1 hour per month. I dont know of any gun enthusiasts who dont average 10x that.

A sad reality born out by your post is that all too often LEO are rushed through academy and handed a weapon and a badge and turned out. Often times without sufficient skill or training to do the job they are horribly underpaid to do.

I am always critical of shoot first cops. I think my post history will show a pretty clear alleigance with the "victims"in most police shooting topics.

My reason is I expect more from a trained professional than I do from Johnny Citizen...however i also recognize a large part of the issue is toe trained professionals often aren't properly trained pros.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote