View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #2435
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I've said several times I don't have the answers. But I don't see 4 options up there. I see 2. The first 3 are all government support. What I see is an all or nothing ultimatum and nothing in between. Prices have continually risen over time due to a variety of factors. They will rise when another of those factors (wages) change. Or maybe it manifests itself in other ways, like fewer workers meaning poorer/less service, hours, etc.

Either way, what I'm really reacting to in all of this is the way everyone in this thread acts as if there will be no consequences for artificially raising pay or providing a living allowance, that it's all upside and no downside. I strongly disagree with that.

Aren't you arguing the all or nothing with your "you deserve shit wages because you're just a college kid, or you want to watch your grandkids, or you need motivation to get a job somewhere else" arguments?

I'm fully in favor of plans to help businesses deal with sudden wage hikes. In fact, I'd argue the minimum wage shouldn't be set in stone, but instead adjusted with inflation. That way businesses wouldn't be absorbing a several dollar an hour increase all at once, but incremental changes over the years. But I'll never be in favor of telling people they deserve to live on $14,500 a year so I can get a cheaper value burger at McDonald's.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote