View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
Blade
College Prospect

Raiders Clean House: New Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator, Scouting Staff Hired

Oakland, CA (2006 Off-season) – The Raiders started their spring cleaning, as they announced the hirings of a new Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator, and Scouting staff at a press conference, held yesterday. Joining the Raiders organization is Brent Marlin at Head Coach, Mel Porter at Defensive Coordinator, and Gino McIntyre as the new Lead Scout.

The move is a surprising one, considering the relative success the Oakland Raiders experienced in the 2005 season, going 9-7 and winning their first round playoff game, before losing by a last second field goal to the eventual Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts. The contracts of the people holding these positions during 2005 had expired at the end of the season, but it was expected that at least one of the three, former Head Coach Jorge Shank, would be resigned.

“I was surprised, to say the least,” said Shank, after being reached for comment by phone. “I thought we had a pretty good year, all things considered. We were over .500, made the playoffs, and even won a playoff game, and this was with a defence that had been decimated by off-season deals and injuries. I had a couple of conversations with [GM Barrett] Blade during the season, but nothing concrete. That said, I got the impression that I would be back. What can I say? I am disappointed, but I guess it is time to move on.”

Taking over for Shank will be Brent Marlin, who was the Head Coach of the Houston Texans last season. The Texans only managed a 2-14 season under Marlin, which raised more questions about why he was being brought into the Raiders fold. He was signed to a 3-year deal, worth a reported $3.5 million per year.

“I am excited to be here,” said Marlin at the conference. “This is a great organization, and I really like the direction they are headed in, and I hope to bring some new ideas to the team. I had a rough year, last year, but you have to look at the situation I was in. I was hoping to stay and build on some things there [in Houston], but they didn’t seem interested in bringing me back, so when Barrett Blade called, I jumped at the opportunity to come here.”

The Raiders felt that a change was needed on the defensive side of the ball, as they passed on the resigning of former Defensive Coordinator Louie Sutter, instead signing Mel Porter, who was the Defensive Coordinator for the 5-11 New Orleans Saints last season. Porter was signed to a 3-year deal worth a reported $2,760,000 a year. The Raiders defence was one of the worst in the league last season, which is why the change was made.

“I just want to bring a new attitude to the team,” said Porter. “We have some good players, but I know that the management here want to revamp the defence, and I am glad to be able to play a part in that.”

The last change made by the Raiders management was the hiring of an all new scouting staff, led by a new Lead Scout, Gino McIntyre. McIntyre replaces former scout Eric Washington, who is now 62 years old.

When questioned about the moves, Raiders GM Barrett Blade was excited. “We are bringing in some great people here, and installing a new attitude. Brent Marlin is a fantastic motivator, and knows how to call plays properly. Plus, he has a great defensive mind, which is something we were lacking here last season. Coupled with Mel Porter, I think that we will have a new defensive philosophy, which I love. But Brent is still very sound offensively, and with [Offensive Coordinator] Aaron Ellis returning for another year, we will be able to maintain our success with the offence.”

Out of jobs, Louie Sutter quickly took Mel Porter’s previous position, signing with the New Orleans Saints for 3 years, worth $1,240,000 a year. Jorge Shank and Eric Washington have not signed with any team at this point. “They are all good people,” said Blade. “It was definitely a lot of fun having them with the club, but we felt changes were needed. Obviously, our defence played a part in it, as Jorge was not as sound in the defensive side of the game as we would have liked, and Louie had some issues as well. But I think he will do great with the Saints, and Jorge should land on his feet in no time.”

Blade’s focus will now be set on the free agent market and the upcoming draft. “It is an exciting time. We are hoping to bring in some good people, whether it is through free agency or the draft. We have something to build on, and it will be exciting to watch this team grow.”

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote