View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #154
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Season 19 Press Announcements, Part III

7-22-2003

Edit Delete
(16:40) Hippos Beat Bees in Grudge Match Jose Maria Miguel scored the only goal of the game in the 28th minute as the Hippodrome looked more like a lake than a field. The Hippos were looking for more than a 1-0 win after the teams' previous meetings but coach Ricky Braden was very pleased with the passable midfield and 61 rating. The two teams are nearly identical in age at about 7 months old- just a few games short of 2 seasons. However, the Bees had won the previous two meetings 15-2 combined. Hippos begin Cup play next week.
(0) (0)

7-10-2003

Edit Delete
(04:13) Just One of Those Days It started off a good day- I'm playing a supporter a match at his place with nothing on the line except a few bragging rights about whose B Team is better so I didn't so much mind the fact that I blew a 2-1 lead. Of course, I accidentally put a 2-6-2 so I lose my weekly training. Then I get a player thrown out with a red. And, to top it all off, I injure 4 of his players including 2 trainees. Somehow, I don't think I'll be getting any fruit baskets from Louisiana this week... *sigh*
(0) (0)

7-8-2003

Edit Delete
(22:25) Solomon, Phelan Close Out Season in Style Derrick Solomon collected a hat trick and Edwin Phelan scored twice, ending the season in a tie at 15 goals apiece for the V.62 scoring title while "Timber" Kimber extended his shutout streak to 4 straight games as the Hippos routed Beneamata in front of another sellout at the 'drome. Marcel Romo, Efrain Castaneda, and Mick Starks also scored for the Hippos, who ended the season at 39 points with a 70 - 12 goal differential and are due for autopromotion, edging out a very good Dragons team.
(0) (0)

7-3-2003

Edit Delete
(11:28) Hippos Do Hong Kong The Hippos hit the road and, in the process, shattered a record for friendly attendance as 3652 screaming fans watched Houston down the Chow Chows 1-0 at the Whiskas Bowl. New UberTrainee(TM) Daniel Storm scored his first goal and the Hippos defense led by goalie Sidney Buckley made it stick. The Hippos would like to thank Apoorvahk for being such a gracious host and I appologize for my players getting too rowdy and injuring one of his. Next week: a supporter match at the Louisiana Cyclones.
(0) (0)

7-2-2003

Edit Delete
(11:32) Phelan's Goals Give Him Lead, Hippos Win Edwin Phelan scored 2 goals in the first half to take the lead in the V.62 scoring race away from teammate Derrick Solomon and "Timber" Kimber got his third straight shutout as Houston beat the Flying Midgets and new starting goalie Gordon Whitt. Donald Newsom and Stephen Connors also scored for the Hippos, who are starting to pull away from the Dragons in the race for promotion with a lead that now stands at 7 goals. Houston finishes up at home against Beneamata next week.
(0) (0)

6-28-2003

Edit Delete
(04:34) Hippos Ran and Shot from FOFC Cup In a battle of two of the most prolific run-and-shoot teams in FOFC, ardent's North County Raiders showed why he was the teacher and the Hippos still the students. Burton Cagle got a hattrick in the first half and Dan Wagner got one in the second half as the Raiders 3-4-3 was too much for the Hippos 3-5-2 H-Gun. The Hippos FOFC Cup MVP is Miguel Tizon with 8 goals. With the Hippos FOFC Cup run at an end, they will be looking to do a little traveling for friendlies; this week it's Hong Kong.
(0) (0)

6-23-2003

Edit Delete
(10:07) Hippos Roll Over Goonz Derrick Solomon's 11th and 12th goals of the season gave him the series lead over teammate Edwin Phelan who missed on both of his chances as the Hippos beat the goonz 6-0 in front of another sold out crowd at the Hippodrome. Not bad for a player who, despite being last year's leading scorer for the Hippos, started the year on the B Team due to a form slump. The game also featured "Timber" Kimber's 3rd shutout in 4 games and wingback Marcel Romo's second straight week with a header goal.
(0) (0)

6-19-2003

Edit Delete
(23:47) Hippos Win Battle of Undefeateds With the elimination play starting up, either the Hippos or the Slithy Toves would have to go home with their only loss in FOFC Cup play. Fortunately for Houston, two of the UberTrainees(TM), Anders Jorgensson and Albino de Sousa Bastos didn't want to see their first FOFC Cup end so soon, scoring goals and helping control possession, overcoming another grueling battle against a 4-5-1. Run-and-shoot mentor ardententhusiast's and his North County Raiders wait in the Round of 16 next week.
(0) (0)

Edit Delete
(01:46) Hippos Trudge Past Blades Carlos Alberto Benito and Marcel Romo scored in the 78th and 84th minutes, breaking the scoreless deeadlock as the Hippos exc-exc-pass offense faced off against the Blades out-bril-form defense. With the Dragons only winning by 1, the Hippos slim lead raised to 4 goals with 3 games remaining for each teams. FOFC Round of 32 play begins this Wednesday as the Hippos host the only other undefeated team in Group Play in the Slithy Toves.
(0) (0)

6-13-2003

Edit Delete
(23:28) Hippos Run the Table in FOFC Cup Group Play The Missouri Tigers scored their only goal in the Cup but it didn't keep the Hippos from winning as, for the second time this week and fourth time in four weeks, a Hippo scored 4 goals, this time Juan Miguel Tizon. Wingback Marcel Romo also scored twice in the final game in FOFC Group E play. The Hippos were one of two teams to collect all 15 points in Group Play but only advance as the 16th seed. Round of 32 play sees the Hippos at the 'Drome against the 17th seed Slithy Toves next week.
(0) (0)

6-9-2003

Edit Delete
(10:24) Solomon Continues Tear in 10-1 Massacre The season started off poorly for Derrick Solomon, V.62's 3rd leading scorer last year and leading Hippo. He was demoted to B Team after a form slump but now he has returned and is making up for lost time. Today he scored 4 more goals, giving him 9 in his last 3 games and leading the Hippos to a rout of the Thumpers. Edwin Phelan added another pair of goals to retain the lead over now-2nd place Solomon. The score was quite suprising consider a PIC and only 10 men in the 2nd half.
(0) (0)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote