View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 10:21 PM   #131
TLK
Pro Starter

Tony George backed out of CART originally because of all the things that he is building in the IRL, now.

He has made the Indy 500 into a joke (see where this thread all started). HE seems to think that the quality of the field will go up when the remaining CART teams come over. The fact he needs to realize is that the teams that want to run his formula, are already there. The 500 isn't what it use to be and many of the companies that are funding the remaning CART teams could care less about it. Those companies favor the international aspect of CART, which Tony George has shown no intrest in meeting.

If anyone thinks the road racing was bad in CART the past couple of years... wait till' you see the IRL cars on a road course. Here's a quote from the IRL's golden boy:

Quote:
“I think the IRL cars are probably going to be similar to an Indy Lights car or something, just the way they are balanced and how the engines are. I think it will be good racing. Even a CART car in Long Beach and stuff, it was fairly hard to pass. Whereas you look at Indy Lights races, they were pretty close."
Sam Hornish on IRL cars road racing

Sounds like the road racing community will be taking a few steps back if this transaction goes through.....

To use a poker term.... I'm going all-in with OWRS tomorrow. If they don't come out on top I'm out. I rather have an intellectual conversation with Tony George (and we know that could never happen), than watch them crapwagons putter around the tracks I grew up loving.....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote