View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #8
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
In a 4-6 handed table, I'm probably raising an unraised pot pre-flop with any pocket pair.

I forget what my default standards were online in 6-handed games, but UTG I'm pretty sure it was somewhere around 99+ in most games. Being out of position with a middle/low pair that doesn't hit is awful.

Other random stuff since the conversation is headed that way:

In the 6-handed games I'm used to playing I don't think I would ever, ever open-limp either, so its raise or fold, with possible small blind exceptions. A home game could be much different and maybe open limping is ok in a very loose passive game (where 4 players are going to see every flop and not many are raising).

But really, any question about standards for how strong a hand you need to open-raise preflop, even if you're a near-complete beginner needs to take position into account. If I'm on the button and its folded to me and I have no info on my opponents I'm probably raising about 50% of the time (and folding the other). UTG in a 6 handed game where I know nothing about the opposition I probably only raise the top 7-10% of hands? AQs+ AJo+ KQs 99+ maybe? Maybe that's very slightly tight, but its very close.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote