View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 12:33 AM   #263
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

THE QUAKERS TAKE OCTOBER: PHILADELPHIA CAPTURES ITS FIRST WORLD SERIES TITLE
PHILADELPHIA -- With one swing in the bottom of the 9th, Ron Olden, who was on this team when it was still in Monterrey and who is 2nd in franchise history with 187 home runs, hit one for the ages when he put an end to the 2009 World Series and led the Quakers to their first-ever World Series title in the franchise's 13th year of existence and in just its sixth year in the bigs.

The Quakers are also the first team from the "promotion era" to win the World Series -- no team from a lower league had ever laid claim to the title before now.

The team, which was promoted to the majors in 2002 and spent five years in Monterrey before being sold to W. Lyon Evans and moved to Philadelphia in 2008, the team has been successful for its two years in town and will move to brand-new Johnson & Johnson Park, just across the Ben Franklin Bridge in Camden, NJ this coming season and expects to continue participating at the top tier of major league clubs.

"We're not going to experience any dropoff. We're on the same page here and we're going to make Quakers baseball the class of the majors. It helps that we have a team right down the road that we're competing with and so, we're not going to make this a fluke by any stretch. We're just gonna reload," said Daly.

Asked if he was happy to be in a city where he felt comfortable, he smiled and said, "Well, I dunno. When it's all said and done, it's about wins and losses. If we're not getting it done on the field, no one is going to care what I do up here in a suit and tie, they're gonna send me away and bring someone else in to do the job.

---
DIAMOND NOTES ~ NOVEMBER 2009
It was sad to see Providence get relegated without so much as returning to the World Series after I left. I hope they make it back soon, especially since they've invested so much in a short period of time to that ballclub being there.

Seeing Worcester on the doorstep of the majors starting next year will be interesting. We called getting to the majors and the plan surrounding it "The Blueprint" and well, it's just cool to see "The Blueprint" is well underway. It'll be tough to get out of the Continental League, but...the fact that they made it out of the National League in just two years surprised me a ton, because it's a place that can consume a ballclub really quickly if they're not proactive. Just ask the Minnesota Twins, who've been stuck down there for three years now and still haven't gotten out and are sitting the lowest of any ballclub who have big league experience.

In 2004, the White Sox were actually pondering moving. But increased cap numbers in the Continental League and recent success -- despite no playoff appearances -- have helped that team come full circle attendance wise.

Starting in 2010, the Guinness Cup Series playoffs will be two best-of-five playoff series, rather than just one series title between the top two teams. This is borne out of the fact that teams with a lesser record (as Washington was in 2009) are managing to get into the Guiness Cup Series and are winning out, to get into the majors. So the league finally gave in and playoffs will be expanded for the first time in that league starting next year.

But enough of this lower league business. Let me introduce you to the Quakers of Philadelphia.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-22-2007 at 12:41 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote