View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 01:23 AM   #271
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

MARIO RIVERA SIGNS WITH BROOKLYN
We made an offer for him, but in the end, star centerfielder Mario Rivera, signed a seven-year deal worth $214.2 million with the Brooklyn Cyclones.

Rivera, 29, spent the first eight years of his career with the Cincinnati Reds registering 300 HRs, 832 RBI and a career .265 average over that time.

The 2004 MLB Most Valuable Player, he was a hotly contested player by most of the majors for the entire off-season and finally committed to the Cyclones, saying it'd always been a dream of his to play in New York.

The Cyclones also signed Marcus Parker, a free agent pitcher to a four-year deal worth over $79 million. Parker, 28, went 19-12 last year with 170 K and a 4.01 ERA for the Chicago Cubs.

THE BRANDON DEAL
The deal we made with the Houston Astros might seem quizzical if you're not sure why we made it. We sent three players to the Houston Astros for John Brandon. He hit 28 HR and 105 RBI last year on a .286 average during his second season with the Astros.

Not only is he a talented player, he's also the team leader in most categories historically for the Quakers/Matadors franchise. He's obviously never played in Philadelphia, because he was dealt less than a month before I took over the job in Philly. He was in Monterrey from 1999 until the end of the 2007 season, logging two 40+ HRs seasons during that time and moving up with the team to the bigs after winning the Continental League.

The 2002 Jack Curry Award winner for CL MVP, He's a three-time MLB All-Star and says he couldn't be happier to be in Philadelphia.

"I was happy in Houston, but I knew a lot of these guys from our time in [Monterrey] and it's just really cool to be here in new digs, a new city and to have the energy that this team has. It's just awesome to be here and I can't wait to pitch in and do my part to keep it up."

The Astros last playoff appearance came in 1991.

I didn't know much about it until I took a look at the team's records, saw who he was and realized that he'd fill a need for us in centerfield, while also introducing the Philly faithful with someone who played a key role in the franchise being where it is today.

So I pulled the trigger and found a deal that worked for both teams -- far more fair than the original deal the PC made that sent lots of junk to Philly in return for him -- and we'll see how it goes, but having him in the lineup is a huge boon to the ballclub on paper.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote