View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #285
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

OCTOBER 8, 2010

FAMILIAR FACE THROWS OUT THE FIRST PITCH FOR BIGGEST GAME IN BROWNS HISTORY

WORCESTER -- Five years ago, D.C. Daly had the dream that he could get a team from the lowest levels of Major League Baseball -- the 4th division American League -- to the major leagues.

And he'd do it as fast as he could.

"We really believe that it could be done here. Boston isn't far away, the area loves great baseball and the city was committed to the ballclub. It was a fantastic match and still is," said Daly, about the decision that sent him from the bigs down to the 4th division.

Despite coming in 2nd in their division, they benefitted from joining the Continental League in the first year of that league's expanded playoffs, which let the two best non-division teams into the Guinness Cup Series. This was done to prevent a team that barely wins its division or has a worse record than a 2nd or 3rd place team in another division from getting passed over and winning a short series to get a shot at the bigs.

The Browns dropped just one game in the CL playoffs, beating rival Memphis (formerly Windsor) Red Sox in four games, then sweept through the Puerto Rico Leones in 3 straight games, the top two teams in the Western Division to capture the CL pennant in their first year in the league and a date with the Pittsburgh Pirates -- and destiny.

Just five years ago, this team was just getting its start and now, the ballclub is just one win away -- playing in Game 7 of the MLB Challenge Series -- to getting to that ultimate prize. The team could see no better person to throw out the first pitch than the architect himself.

"It's crazy. I never saw it happening this fast. But it's really fun to watch," said Daly about his former team.

Alfie Penrice, a 28-year old Englishman who has spent all but two years of his career in New England, said that he didn't know when he came to play here that the team would be able to get to the bigs at all, but he was willing to go along for the ride.

"It was hard for me starting out. But D.C. knew me when he drafted me with the Yankees and so, it was his influence that helped me come here and try to do what I could to help." The Browns captain is the all-time leader in games played with the team and has said that a packed Iron Mountain Stadium hosting a big league game would be amazing.

"Man, I don't want to get ahead of myself. But trust me, there have been more than a few dreams about it for me."

As for Daly, does he have any regrets about leaving?

"No. I mean, it was time for me to go. I had other stuff I felt I needed to do. The Dodgers thing was mostly about me seeing if I still had it. Even if it had only been a year, everyone always said that Boston and Providence were 'easy' jobs because the owners spent money. But look at the Bees now [relegated to the CL in '09] and the Yankees aren't the force they once were and even still, they only won that one title during that streak.

So I feel like what I did here, just setting the foundation was huge, because no matter what you call it...they've won three pennants in four years in three different leagues. That's nuts."

Daly came because the Quakers -- tied 1-1 in the World Series with the Colorado Rockies -- had a travel day.

"I had to be here. Sure, it's an important time for me and for my ballclub and the guys knew. But they're the ones who told me to come. They know what this club means to me and well...it's just great to see and I hope they pull it out."
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote