View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 10:05 PM   #49
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

May 29, 2020

Devastation.

Word comes back from Dundee United - they thank me for taking part in the interview process but ultimately would prefer a more seasoned manager to take over their club.

We find out later that day that Carsten Jancker is hired to lead Dundee United in 2020/21.

What a kick in the teeth this is. No disrespect to Jancker, but he's younger than me (by a year) and has only been managing one year longer than I have. He started his managerial career at SV Horn in Austria and left there after a year to take the head job at Bradford City. He was sacked after 12 months in that job and six months later is hired by Dundee United.

He had a long history as a player, however, and his reputation must precede him...what a disappointment.

We also hear that Colchester United has hired Phil Brown to take over their managerial job after the club had sacked Keith Southern a couple weeks back. I did not even apply for that job.

May 31, 2020

Just when I thought I had run out of viable options, two more managerial jobs open up, both here in Scotland.

St. Johnstone just finished 5th in the Scottish Premiership and we find out today that manager John Toshack has retired after a 40 year career in management.

Also on this day, we find out that Barry Robson has left his role at Livingston, who he led to a 6th place finish in the Scottish Championship in 2019/20.

Both of these look to be excellent opportunities and I apply for both positions.

June 1, 2020

We have more openings!

Birmingham City finished 18th in the Championship and Gregorio Manzano resigns as manager. This is a very appealing job opening for me and brings back memories. In my old Dover career, I had a chance to leave Dover for Birmingham when things were going tough after a few years in League One but they never ultimately offered me the job. I'd stay at Dover, get promoted the next year and never look back, ultimately winning a bunch of domestic and European trophies.

I immediately apply for the position.

We also hear that manager John Sheridan has resigned at Portsmouth. Unfortunately, Portsmouth finished dead last in League One and will be relegated to League Two in 2020. I've thus far resisted applying for jobs at League Two clubs in hopes of getting offers in better leagues but I'm starting to think I've been a tad too optimistic about my prospects.

Portsmouth are a pretty big club, even though they are taking the drop and I decide to apply for the job.

Jobs also open up at Bristol Rovers and at Aldershot Town. Bristol Rovers finished 5th in League Two while Aldershot finished 10th in the National League. Neither of these jobs appeal to me at the moment, as I'd prefer to wait and see what comes out of these most recent applications.

June 3, 2020

A big day.

First of all, one more job opening presents itself in Barnet, who finished 2nd in the Vanarama National League but missed promotion. Manager John Still retired from the job and it's now available.

I hold off on applying, as I've received a job interview at Livingston!

This is my second interview and things start out similarly to my interview at Dundee United. They want to know why I'm applying for so many jobs and I simply tell them I'm just taking advantage of any opportunities that are out there.

I think I handle this interview a bit better than my previous attempt and I'm cautiously optimistic. The club has only been in existence since 1974 but spent time in the Scottish Premiership as recently as two years ago. I think this is a solid opportunity and I hope for the best.

June 8, 2020

Crystal Palace hire Dean Smith for their open managerial position. This job was likely unattainable for me so I didn't even apply. Smith takes over from Sam Allardyce, who was fired on May 25th.

UP-TO-DATE JOB TRACKER

1. Dundee United (Scottish Championship) - APPLIED - INTERVIEWED - Hired Carsten Jancker
2. Norwich City (English Championship) - APPLIED - Hired Carlos Carvalhal
3. Rotherham United (English League One) - APPLIED - Hired Neal Ardley
4. Newport County (English League Two)
5. Tottenham Hotspur (English Premier League) - DECLARE INTEREST - Hired Fatih Terim
6. Queen's Park Rangers (English League One) - APPLIED - Hired Lee Johnson
7. Rochdale (English League Two) - Hired Paul Cook
8. Colchester United (English League Two) - Hired Phil Brown
9. Leyton Orient (English National League) - Hired Simon Clifford
10. Crystal Palace (English Championship) - Hired Dean Smith
11. St. Johnstone (Scottish Premiership) - APPLIED
12. Livingston (Scottish Championship) - APPLIED - INTERVIEWED
13. Birmingham City (English Championship) - APPLIED
14. Portsmouth (English League Two) - APPLIED
15. Bristol Rovers (English League Two)
16. Aldershot Town (English National League)
17. Barnet (English National League)
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote