View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 12:00 AM   #50
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

June 9, 2020

The transfer window opens today...it's been five weeks since I resigned at Queen's Park and I'm still jobless. Still hoping for the best at Livingston.

June 12, 2020

I get word from three teams that they are not interested in my services: Birmingham City, Portsmouth and St. Johnstone all indicate that they appreciate my interest but that they are looking for someone more seasoned for their openings.

Ugh.

This is getting frustrating.

June 14, 2020

The news gets worse.

Livingston get in touch with me to say that despite having a good interview, they are going in a different direction and hiring Martin Canning for their managerial opening. Canning had a long playing career in England and in Scotland and spent two and a half years managing Hamilton in the Scottish Premiership. He was sacked in early December and takes over Livingston six months later.

Three other positions get filled on this day as well.

First, St. Johnstone hire Frank Nuttall to replace the retired John Toshack. I had applied for this position but the Premiership team was looking for someone with more experience. Nuttall, who resigned from Dundee United (my top job choice a couple weeks ago), offers just that. Understandable hire...

Next, we hear that Neville Roach was hired at Aldershot Town. I never showed interest in this National League job.

Finally, Portsmouth hire Jim Bentley to take over their role. An interesting hire - Bentley spent a lifetime at Morecambe in English League Two, first as a player from 2002 to 2010, then as the Reserves team manager until 2011 and then took over managing the Senior team on May 13, 2011. Morecambe finished 5th in League Two last year then won the playoff to earn promotion to League One next year. He now decides to leave that job and take Portsmouth's job, even though they are getting relegated to League Two.

Fascinating...Morecambe's managerial role is now open and I see that their financial situation is dire, likely the reason for him leaving.

I'm starting to panic a bit now. Only four potential job openings currently exist: Newport County in League Two (which has been open for over a month without being filled), Bristol Rovers in League Two, Barnet in the National League and now Morecambe, who are being promoted to League One.

I decide to apply for the jobs at both Newport County and Morecambe

June 15, 2020

More news comes in.

Birmingham City, who said thanks but no thanks when I applied for their position a couple weeks ago, ends up hiring Gary Bowyer to replace Gregorio Manzano. Bowyer resigns with immediate effect after spending a year and a half managing Gillingham in League One. This is another fascinating hire - like Jim Bentley, Bowyer took a team that finished 5th in league play and then wins the playoff to get promoted to the Championship. He sees an opportunity at perhaps a bigger club and takes it even through he had great success in a short time at Gillingham.

This obviously opens up the job at Gillingham but with them getting promoted to the Championship, I seriously question whether they'd be interested in me.

June 16, 2020

Bristol Rovers hire Joey Barton to take over from Dean Keates, who resigned on June 1st. I didn't apply for this particular position.

June 17, 2020

Another job is filled, as National League club Barnet hire Michael Flynn to replace the retired John Still.

June 18, 2020

Oh boy. I get asked to come in to interview for the Morecambe position!!!

As indicated above, long-time manager Jim Bentley resigned from Morecambe after being offered the job at Portsmouth. This despite the fact that he managed Morecambe to a playoff victory in League Two, thereby earning a promotion to League One for next season.

I can see that the club is struggling with their finances and much of our interview concentrates on the fact that their next manager will need to be very mindful of the budget and concentrate on bringing in young, cheaper talent. I just want work at this point so of course, I tell them that I'll be happy to work with whatever budget they give me and that I'd plan on keeping all current staff members intact in order to avoid any unnecessary termination wages. For the first time, I also tell them that I'd prefer to be judged on something else during my tenure, saying that I want to play an attacking brand of football and that seemingly gets a favourable response.

A pretty good interview!

June 19, 2020

Now I hear from Newport County, also want to bring me in for an interview!

This Welsh club has been around since 1912 but went into receivership in the late 80's and eventually went out of business in 1989. The club was reformed to start the 89/90 season and have slowly worked themselves up through non-league football in to League Two.

The interview goes quite well - I'm actually surprised that this job is still available, considering the fact that former manager David Wilson was sacked over six weeks ago on May 2nd. They also seem keen on signing young players and I also tell them my intentions of playing an attacking brand of football.

UP-TO-DATE JOB TRACKER

1. Dundee United (Scottish Championship) - APPLIED - INTERVIEWED - Hired Carsten Jancker
2. Norwich City (English Championship) - APPLIED - Hired Carlos Carvalhal
3. Rotherham United (English League One) - APPLIED - Hired Neal Ardley
4. Newport County (English League Two) - APPLIED - INTERVIEWED
5. Tottenham Hotspur (English Premier League) - DECLARE INTEREST - Hired Fatih Terim
6. Queen's Park Rangers (English League One) - APPLIED - Hired Lee Johnson
7. Rochdale (English League Two) - Hired Paul Cook
8. Colchester United (English League Two) - Hired Phil Brown
9. Leyton Orient (English National League) - Hired Simon Clifford
10. Crystal Palace (English Championship) - Hired Dean Smith
11. St. Johnstone (Scottish Premiership) - APPLIED - Hired Frank Nuttall
12. Livingston (Scottish Championship) - APPLIED - INTERVIEWED - Hired Martin Canning
13. Birmingham City (English Championship) - APPLIED - Hired Gary Bowyer
14. Portsmouth (English League Two) - APPLIED - Hired Jim Bentley
15. Bristol Rovers (English League Two) - Hired Joey Barton
16. Aldershot Town (English National League) - Hired Neville Roach
17. Barnet (English National League) - Hired Michael Flynn
18. Morecambe (English League One) - APPLIED - INTERVIEWED
19. Gillingham (English Championship)

June 21, 2020

Oh boy.

I hear from Morecambe…

They want to follow up on our interview, with their chairman inquiring about the other jobs I've applied for and expressing reservations about my commitment.

I give him the stock answer that I'm just trying to cover all bases at this point and he asks a question that stops me in my tracks. He wants to know if he hires me, will I promise not to seek out opportunities at other clubs for at least a one year period.

I don't really hesitate: I tell him of course, I'd be willing to make that promise. He says he'll get back to me shortly...

Minutes later, I get the call back.

Morecambe have offered me a one year contract to manage their club!

I'm being offered a salary of £1600 per week (£83,200 per year) to take the job. They indicate that finances are rough right now and that they can only offer a weekly wage allowance of £21,868 for 2020/21 and NO TRANSFER BUDGET.

Looking quickly at their team, I see they are right up against that wage budget already. They have a good looking, veteran team but some high wages that will need to be purged if I'm going to make this work. I can't see their financial figures but I know that their finances are considered to be "insecure" so that's an issue I'm going to have to deal with if I take the job.

The team plays in a new, cozy modern stadium (Globe Arena) that was just built in 2010 but only holds 6476 (and seats only 2173).

This team has jumped in early, knowing I interviewed at Newport County and obviously want me to make a decision.

At this point, I have one offer and it's to manage a newly promoted League One club. How cool is that?!?

I don't need any more time to think it over.

I accept the job and take over as Manager at Morecambe FC in Sky Bet League One with immediate effect

Last edited by NoSkillz : 01-14-2020 at 12:02 AM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote