View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Returning to Galway (FM 15)

This dynasty has been inspired by a very cool story.

My middle child, Claire, is about to turn 12. She's in the sixth grade. An amazing history teacher, who has taught both of my older kids, encouraged her and her classmates to research their own personal histories for a class project back in the fall. That assignment sparked her interest in finding out even more about the history of our family.

Both my wife and I have roots in Ireland. I've known my family came from Galway for as long as I can remember, so I was able to tell Claire that much about my ancestry. She took it from there and, according to my Dad, she now knows more about our family story than any living relative.

Watching her excitement over each new discovery has been a fascinating, enjoyable experience. Last night, the whole family ended up in our playroom, doing various things--reading, watching a movie, playing a board game. Claire was curled up beside me on the couch, looking up more information about Galway on her iPad. That gave me an idea. I think I'd like to return to my ancestral home--at least virtually--through a Football Manager career.

I tried writing about a managerial career in Galway a few years ago, but the dynasty never really got going very well. That was long before my curious daughter took an interest in our family's heritage. Now, the idea of managing Galway United FC seems even more fun than it did before. Claire likes Dad's idea, too. She plays soccer herself; she's been in a club team for three years now, and she's recently begun her first season with her middle school side.

I'll be playing FM 15, and I'm using "fake players." I don't like seeing black silhouettes on my players' pages, and the FM 15 images look like humans (recent Football Manager editions use 3D images that can be positively creepy).

I'll be back shortly with some information about the club, and then the story will begin. Claire and I hope you'll enjoy following along.

Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote