View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 07:17 PM   #6
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 April 2014

The best word to describe the first month of our season is “blah.” In four games, we’ve scored two goals and conceded three. Rather unfortunately, those goals have been combined to create a situation in which we’ve taken only four points, and we find ourselves in a rather “blah” sixth place in the eight-team First Division.

For the one match we won, away to Finn Harps, I switched from our usual 4-3-3 shape to an old reliable 4-4-2. Scout Robert Fadden told me Harps might struggle against a formation with two strikers, and Fadden’s report was spot on. However, our next opponent was a good Longford side who eat 4-4-2 for breakfast. We went back to 4-3-3, and lost when they converted a penalty in the fifth minute.

I like the 4-4-3; it allows me to put our best eleven players on the pitch, and it’s been very solid defensively. Aaron O’Connor has played the DM role perfectly, dropping back to give us a five-man back line when the other team has the ball, and contributing to our transition to offense by providing an outlet for our defenders and making smart passes.

But, as you can see, we’ve struggled to score. I can never seem to get the striker’s role right when I play a formation with one man up front. I’m using the Complete Forward role in this formation, and it hasn’t quite gelled yet. Gary Joyce isn’t a bad choice for the role, but he’s yet to impose his will upon a match. I’ll be patient while the lads learn the tactic, but before long, I might have to think about some changes.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote